New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New Kid on the Block (Georgia): Project IndyRam

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kid on the Block (Georgia): Project IndyRam

Hello, PerformanceTrucks.net. This is my very first drag racing forum, and my second time ever using a forum. I have never drag raced before, but I came to receive some helpful advice from the professionals here. My stepfather has about 3 years of experience, but had to sell his car in a tight. Since most people specialize in cars, I decided to go a different route and race trucks. My father passed down his 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 to me, and after careful consideration, I hope to begin racing it soon. The link to the YouTube video below explains almost everything about the truck, including views of the engine. I am honored to be a part of this forum, and I wanted some input from the forum (questions, suggestions, advice, anything) to see what I can do. I plan to race stock and build up from there. My first race will probably be at the LaGrange Troop County Dragway, so I would love to meet some people on this forum if you live close by.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the discussion, and I hope to hear from you soon.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

ls swap

https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+...m=vid&q=ramaro
Old 07-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Default Pardon Me?

Ramaro? Interesting. I didn't know what you meant, but if you were asking me if it will be an engine swap, it will not. My first step is to bore/stroke the engine I already have to its max potential. Good idea, though.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site. You are in the right place, lots of guys on here have been racing trucks for years, not to mention various cars as well. Good luck with your project, I'm sure it will be a blast! Please remember though, be careful and be safe. Use your head, as drag racing is awesome, but can be very dangerous. Anyways, looking forward to seeing/hearing your progress!
Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Default Thank you very much!

I will definitely be careful.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Headers. I had a 5.9 Grand Cherokee, stock manifold is basically garbage on these trucks.

I had these on my Jeep, not sure if edelbrock makes them for the ram, but you get the idea. Definitely made a noticeable difference. Since the ram is bigger though, long tubes would also be an option.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-66043

I hear a lot about people using dakota R/T parts on these engines, although looking it up I can't find any difference between the two 5.9s.

If you can afford it though, definitely go LS. You would have a better aftermarket and depending on your power goals it might even be cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Default That sounds awesome.

Thank you for being honest about the manifolds. Also, by LS, do you mean a Chevy engine? If so, I'll think about it. I was planning to keep it Dodge, but I might take that route if it is ultimately the better decision. Thank you again for your suggestion. It may be a bit before I go for my first test and tune.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to PT!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Default Thank you.

I have heard some awesome stuff from everyone.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

Quick Reply: New Kid on the Block (Georgia): Project IndyRam