New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Hi new and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi new and have a few questions

First off I have a 08 vortec max and I'm having a low oil pressure issue when engine warms, it's not making any noise at all But had also done the 0 oil pressure drop a couple times. My check engine light is on with the po521 code so trying to figure it out hopefully just the sensor and screen I'm gonna try that next week hopefully not cam bearing but if it does end being that what does a replacement engine run and does anyone have one or know where to get ahold of one for a good price or possibly price of a rebuild on the one I have
Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Rebuild is going to be less expensive, which engine does your truck have, the l92 or l96? Neither of which have the screen under the oil pressure sensor, that screen is only present in the vlom on dod equipped engines... before you start replacing the engine, check pressure at the oil filter, or the plug above it in the block and again at the oil pressure sensor port. There is a pressure relief valve in the oil pan that if it gets stuck could cause an oil pressure loss. Have also seen worn seals on the vlom and the non dod top plates cause oil pressure issues. Biggest thing is verify that it is truly a low pressure issue not a bad sensor before getting too far into replacing an engine
Old 01-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has the little filter screen under the sensor I removed it once and wasn't dirty I'm going to replace the sensor Thursday and see what that does
Old 01-29-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Vortec Maxx trucks should have that 6.0 L76 AFM/DoD motor.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Still say verify pressure at oil filter and at the oil pressure sensor port, just to make sure, while the sensor is out being changed would be a good time to check it!
Only seen/worked on one vortec max personally, and was doing trans work on it so didnt pay much attention to the engine!