Military Truckers For the Armed Forces members of PerformanceTrucks!

Army Reserves, whats the catch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 AM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cody the catch is you, their fishing for you, 20 grand is a good peace of bait to be a weekend warrior.
you get to go through basic, wake up by garbage can, ****, shower, and shave with all your new buddies that have the same hair cut as you.
just so you can stand in line and be yelled out by someone that is trying to teach you how to stay alive.
then if your lucky, your buddy in the bunk above you gives you a golden shower at 3 am.
chow sucks, get to crawl in the mud, and you got to love to run.
other then that you get to make friends that stay with you forever, play with things that go boom, and if your lucky you get go and **** in someones oatmeal and dare them to do something about it.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In my personal opinion, money, and all the things they promise IS absolutely NOT the reason to be there.

Even when I was active duty, I would want to kick a reservists *** up and down the street if he stood there bitching and bellyaching about something, and then saying oh well-im just here for the college money anyway. I still have all the same school bennies I had when I was in minus 100% TA, but being former active military in Texas, I believe your tab is taken care of anyway, so essentially if I wanted to go to school over a year after I got out, I'd be all set. I personally have no desire to go to school and sit with a bunch of kids and listen to their whining **** after the life experiences I've had LOL.
Anyway, I know you look at thinks from a very practical point of view Cody, just don't put money at the front of your decision... Resume yes, personal advancement yes, but not dollar signs. You're dealing with a whole different lifestyle if you choose this (even as a reservist) now, don't mistake this for me saying, "let them bend you over and like it" by all means take care of #1 and get what you want, but don't let money drive it. JMO....
Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, and if you do choose the reserves, go into the USMCR... Call me if you want realistic advice about that one
Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill definitely give you a call Ben.

Hmmm, reasons why Im doing this? Of course the money, but I also want that job experience too, and something on my resume to set me apart from the masses without having to totally give up my civilian life.

With work slowing down due to the economy I will have plenty of time to go to school again and finish up my Cosntruction Science degree. I havent been in school for a year just due to being too busy with work(70+ hours weekly) and having somewhat of a personal life. I could continue to work at my current job 20-25 hours a week, keep my company truck, keep my senority and possibly become a Prject Manager(easy well paying job) after I graduate. With working just a little at my current job, the money the reserves pay you for being in school and the sign on bonus making me debt free, Id be in a good financial position to make it through the recession and by the time the economy gets better(hopefully) Ill have my degree plus that feather in my hat for being in the army.

In a perfect world Id be a fire fighter for AFD, but its very hard to get in and they arent having another cadet class until maybe 2010, so Ive got to have a backup plan, Im not going to sit around and twidle my thimbs for the next year and half and not be proactive in my life.

Ive been told that if you have any good skills from your civilian life that the Army can use that helps a lot too pay grade wise, Ive got 4 years experience as a cosntruction inspector, Ive got my ACI Level I, NICET Level I and II, PTI Level I and II, PCI Level I and II, HMAC inspection certified and Im TXDOT certified so Ive got quite a few certifications along with ~40 hours of college so Id imagine that ought to count for something...?

I think the experience I could gain being in the corp of engineers in the army would be great for my civilian career. I know if I dont become a firefighter Im going to stay in construction and probably with my company. The only thing Im waiting on really to sign up is I have a chance to go to work for a different company making damn good money and only an hour away from home. If that doesnt go through then Ill probably do this. My roomate and I are going next week to get all the nitty gritty on the concrete numbers pay wise and benefit wise. After that I feel Ill be able to make a more informed decision. Ive talked to a lot of people about this and pretty much all of them who have been there done that, have said they really like it.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ive been told that if you have any good skills from your civilian life that the Army can use that helps a lot too pay grade wise, Ive got 4 years experience as a cosntruction inspector, Ive got my ACI Level I, NICET Level I and II, PTI Level I and II, PCI Level I and II, HMAC inspection certified and Im TXDOT certified so Ive got quite a few certifications along with ~40 hours of college so Id imagine that ought to count for something...?
Take this info to your recruiter, you can enter with rank..esp with the college credits, if not there are little bullshit tests you can take before you leave to get rank. You can enter basic as an E3 and be a E4 6+ months after your back from AIT. A good thing about the Army is rank comes easy to those who want it and deserve it.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are going for the right reasons for the most part. I am thinking about going AF or Army, active. I dont have health insurance (my job sucks) and I HATE my job. Also I want to do something better with my life, so this will give me a good job skill and stuff. like LMseven says, shipping out and sign on are based on MOS, I was looking in to EOD and they're offering a 26k sign on. Depends on the timing as well. I however may stray away from EOD due to hearing about a decreased return rate. That would be a hell of a job and skill to come back with tho. Do A LOT of research, talking with active soldiers, etc, and a lot of thinking and stuff. The ultimate decision is you. And anything the recruiter says take it with a grain of salt. However the cool thing about the army is you get to pick your job before you go and its promised. AF isnt as certain sadly
Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cody, gonna post any updates?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I guess its due. I took the ASVAB, scored a 93 so I can pretty much do what I want. I chose to be a combat engineer which happens be to stationed about 10 minutes from my house. Ive still got to go take the physical, and get the concrete numbers pay wise and dates, but aside from anything crazy coming up Im going to sign up. Ive talked to about as many people as I possibly think I can and for the type of person I am I think this will work well for me. Ill update once I find out a bit more info.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Congrats, and good luck
Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM

The recruiter called me today wanting me to go take my physical which will require me to take a whole day off from work. Ive asked him on multiple occasions to get me concrete pay numbers for while Im in basic/AIT, and while Im going to school full time, he has drug his feet on getting me the numbers but for some reason once I told him Im not doing or giving him anything else until he gets me those numbers suddenly I got a phone call shortly after with them. Amazing how that works

Quick Reply: Army Reserves, whats the catch?