Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

S10 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S10 5.3 swap

Alright guys, I'm just gonna nip it in the bud and go ahead and say: Yes, I've searched. I've searched every forum high and low, and still haven't found the information I need.

That said, Here's what I'm looking for.

I have a 2001 Chevy S10. It's a 2.2L Flex Fuel truck. I suspect the little 2.2's cam bearings have given up the ghost, and the engine is rattling pretty badly. Not lifters (they're rattling too), but the rods. Oil pressure has steadily declined since a head gasket failure a few years ago, so at this point, I've begun collecting parts for a GenIII V8 swap. Here's what i have:
  • 4.8L V8 (approx 60k, from a totaled 2001 Silverado 1500)
  • 4L60E (same truck)
  • Wiring Harness (damaged, but salvageable)
  • PCM
  • Underhood Fuse Block (Junction block? Same truck)
  • Headers
  • Mounts
  • Radiator
  • 4.3L throttle cable & Cruise module
  • Various little things I'm probably forgetting.

My truck is about as basic as it gets, so I'm hoping to add cruise, and keep A/C. Here's my questions:

What precisely is needed to make the 4.8 run in my S10?

What is needed from the S10 harness to interface the 4.8L to the S10's existing electronics? I've pored over wiring diagrams for the S10 for two days, and found (what I think is) most of the body-side modules/wiring, and I'm not precisely sure what needs to be pinned into the V8 PCM.

I have pinouts for both the 2.2 and the 4.8 ECMs. Alldata's wiring diagrams are unfortunately incorrect for the 2001 Silverado (wiring diagrams show incorrect PCM pin locations and include DBW, rather than DBC setups) so I'm not sure what I need to put where.

The goal here is for an essentially stock swap. It won't be perfectly stock, I understand, but I'd like it as close as possible.

Let me also go ahead and say I've emailed Current Performance about their S10 harnesses, and the as quoted price ($850) is FAR, FAR above budget. The harness alone will end up costing me more than I have in the entire swap thus far, and I'm not willing to pay it when I'm perfectly capable of building one.

I'll probably do a complete write up of how to wire a 5.3 into a 2.2 S-truck when I'm done for future reference and to help others.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its easy to setup a stock 1500 harness to run the engine/trans.. ive never dealt with connecting it to the stock cluster tho.
Just got them running..

also might need a new fuel pump, dunno what the stock 2.2 FF pump is good for.

All the pink wires go to ign fused, Orange go to Battery 12V+, black goes to ground.

Thats all you need to get it up and running/driving.

you have the pin out for the 4.8 PCM so you will know which pins are the Fuel pump and Efans.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM

I don't have 2.2 specific data for you, but lt1swap.com has good info about modifying your engine harness. You can also find the pinouts on that site. I got probably 95% of the information I needed for my swap from there.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lt1swap is free but, a subscription to alldata or Mitchell will have all of the diagrams with no bits n pieces of information missing. A 99-02 dbc Silverado engine harneas will connect directly to a 98-02 s10 underhood fuse box, there is really not to many changes that need to be made.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Get a harness from CurrentPerformance, you will thank me later.

The stock 2.2flex fuel pump will be good to 450HP, and the flex fuel trucks have a regulator built in to the filter like a corvette so you will have the correct fuel pressure.

Check out s10fourm.com and look in the LSX section. You will find all of your answers there.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

x2 for the CPW harness. I'm on a budget also but it was money well spent.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Again, guys, the Current harness is out of the question. I've read countless threads where the Current harness is suggested by everyone. I'm sure it's a quality harness, and I'm sure it'll solve all of my issues as far as wiring is concerned. It's also going to cost me more than double my entire swap thus far combined. I'm perfectly capable of doing the exact same work as Current, and I can't see myself paying to have something I'm capable of doing done by someone else.

I have an Alldata account. Unfortunately, the alldata diagrams for the '01 Silverado, while complete, are incorrect. The pinouts are correct, but the diagrams themselves are for a drive-by-wire system in a later pickup, and all pinouts and wiring are incorrect. I'm going to likely have to find a service manual for an '01 Silverado and buy it in order to finish this correctly.

I'm on LT1swap now. Looks like it should have the information I'm needing.

Thanks, guys.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ascendantsword
Again, guys, the Current harness is out of the question. I've read countless threads where the Current harness is suggested by everyone. I'm sure it's a quality harness, and I'm sure it'll solve all of my issues as far as wiring is concerned. It's also going to cost me more than double my entire swap thus far combined. I'm perfectly capable of doing the exact same work as Current, and I can't see myself paying to have something I'm capable of doing done by someone else.

I have an Alldata account. Unfortunately, the alldata diagrams for the '01 Silverado, while complete, are incorrect. The pinouts are correct, but the diagrams themselves are for a drive-by-wire system in a later pickup, and all pinouts and wiring are incorrect. I'm going to likely have to find a service manual for an '01 Silverado and buy it in order to finish this correctly.

I'm on LT1swap now. Looks like it should have the information I'm needing.

Thanks, guys.
The drawings are not incorrect, you have the WRONG drawing. 2001 a DBC and DBW was available. Get the correct drawing or use a diagram for a 1999 or 2000, wire colors are 99.9% the same.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

If you think your going to do this super cheap, it's not going to happen. There are too many things that add up. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah doing stuff yourself is awesome.. but sometimes theres a difference between being on a budget.. and doing things cheap.

cpw knows there stuff

also id be on S10forum than the LT1 forum a lot more.. there is a TON of s10 specific information on there.. and the swap youre doing has probably been done 100 times or more..

good luck!

Quick Reply: S10 5.3 swap