Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

My first truck! 98 Sonoma

Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first truck! 98 Sonoma

Hey guys,
I finally picked up my first truck 98 Sonoma SLS 2.2l 5sp extended cab, I know its nothing too special but I picked it up for 2600 and supposedly it has about 80k miles, but the speedo is broken so I don't know for sure. Overall the truck is ok minus the speedo, and some cosmetic issues it runs great! It was lowered by the previous owner but I want to bring it back to stock ride height (so if anyone has any has any stock front springs that they would want to sell me I'd be interested )

I have a few questions though...
1. Speedo.... its not working and I need to get it fixed ASAP! previous owner said he already replaced the VSS but that didn't work. The clear plastic cover over the gauges had been broken off and it also had an aftermarket faceplate. I've already removed the faceplate as the needle was rubbing against it but the speedo is still not working. Previous owner said that replacing the turn signal switch assembly would fix it but I don't think it will although if you mess with the cruise control switches and buttons you can get the speed gauge to flick up a few times so maybe? I just don't want to start throwing parts at it as it is budget truck. If anyone could provide some insight on that I would greatly appreciate it.
2. I'm looking to get the most MPG as possible and it already has the electric fan, aftermarket cat back exhaust, and cold air intake is there anything else you guys might recommend for better fuel economy? I drive about 50-60 miles a day and this is to be my commuter and "beater" car because my 02 trans am gets pretty thirsty.
3. There is some play in the shifter and I've already shimmed it up as best as I could and was wondering if there was anything else that can be done with this?

Thanks very much guys
Old 09-17-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on your 1st truck.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check some junk yards fo some parts.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jason Z69
Check some junk yards fo some parts.
Thanks man. yeah I have a junk yard nearby with a bunch of parts from similar trucks but I really don't want to have to try to pull out spindles from another truck or try to pull the springs off with a spring compressor when I could probably find the springs very cheap somewhere else without spending a few hours in the sun there and still paying a premium for them.

I'm pretty sure I found my speedo issue, looks like one of the wires to the VSS might be cut somewhere. I still haven't had a chance to really look underneath yet, but if worst comes to worst I'll run new wires.

I had a buddy drive my truck a little bit yesterday and I noticed my engine temp gauge was not working either the needle was on the max hot side when I know the engine had not even had time to warm up yet. so just another little thing to mess with next couple of days.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Teching In

little update: I replaced the turn signal switch and noticed some of the of the cables had been broken behind the switch which looks like that had caused the 10amp fuse for the cruise in the dash fuse to blow.

Name:  20140922_175932_zps5o8obkyb.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  52.5 KB

Still the speedometer or cruise control are not working. I think I'll check the cable running from the PCM to the gauges and cruise control next.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Teching In

So if anyone has been following, I have an update. I have narrowed the issue down to the PCM or cluster so I took it to a local electronics shop and they verified the issue was the PCM. I went ahead and orderd a new PCM on ebay and when I installed it.... It worked! I then turned the cruise control to the on position while driving and noticed the speedo dropped to zero. I then quickly turned it back off as I knew there was a short there. I should have cut the cruise control VSS wire earlier as I later accidently turned it on and fried the new PCM. I then got another and did some wire troubleshooting and found out there is a break in the VSS (green+white) cable to the cruise control somewhere down below the ABS block? the schematic showed the cable going directly to the cruise control from the PCM but it might go through somewhere else after it drops down below the abs block? maybe someone else has some insight with this? I decided to cut the wire where it drops and connect it directly to the breakout the wires to the cruise control module, but engaging the cruise control still does not work; however, it does not kill the speed anymore. I have a feeling the cruise control module got fried out as well, I am going to test a different cruise control module and see what happens.