Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

lq4 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A properly built 4l60e will hold up doesn't matter if it was behind a 4.3, 5.3, 5.7, or 6.0. The differences are in the input housing and planetaries both of which can be upgraded when rebuilding. There are other areas that have small differences but those are also addressed when it is built properly not just a half assed rebuild.

btw blaze where in mn are you located?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Im in IGH. Just south of st paul!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by LsXblaze
thats what ill do, who did you get ur 65e from?
Finish Line Transmissions. It's a lvl 4.

Originally Posted by AceHaag
A properly built 4l60e will hold up doesn't matter if it was behind a 4.3, 5.3, 5.7, or 6.0. The differences are in the input housing and planetaries both of which can be upgraded when rebuilding. There are other areas that have small differences but those are also addressed when it is built properly not just a half assed rebuild.

btw blaze where in mn are you located?
You are correct.

LsXblase as I'm sure you know most of the local shops folks go to to have their trans "rebuilt" don't go into every one of the 4l60e's weak points, which is a must when it comes to running such a high hp/tq application such as the 6.0. They do the basics to fresh'n it up and call it a day. I know this isn't every local shop but most I have heard about or personally dealt with . If you know what your doing and will address every issue like one of your well known/reputable transmission builders then I wouldn't feel so bad about taking a chance with the 4l60e in a light weight pickup.

If you do rebuild the 60 make sure these problems are addressed(sure there are others but here's the main ones):

the stock shell likes to break....beast shell is the fix.

with high rpms the pump looses pressure at 6,000rpm plus....stiff pump slide spring and boost valve fixes this.

the stock sprag is a single cage unit, aftermarket borg warner dual cage is stronger

the factory 6 clutch 3-4 pack is the weak link at higher hp levels. ....there is a z-pack(that I run) but also there is a 8 clutch red alto pack that alot of people prefer as well.
-silverz28camaro-

also flush out the coolant lines and add an efficient trans cooler

If it were my build, I personally wouldn't waste the time and money on a 60e behind a 6.0. I'd have the 80e done right and not think twice about beating the living hell out of it.

Last edited by L$X$10; 02-07-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

i have been looking at tci transmissions and flt transmissions.... one of those will bea future purchase after the stock one... ive got no probs working and fixing stuff haha
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM

FLT FTW! Great customer service as well
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Flt looks decently priced. I like it. idk if you have looked into TCI at all but ive come across a universal paddle shift designed to work with any 4,5,6 speed autos... that would be fun
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM

I haven't lately. Sounds like fun..many reviews on them?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe he wants to enter something beside a 1/4 mile or less straight line event where being able manually down shift or up shift to keep engine in it's power band is important when trying to be competitive with a manual shift 3 peddle car on a Road Course.

You need to be able to hold a gear and down shift or up shift as needed to be competitive. Ever try that with a stock floor shifter? If trans will engine brake it's like driving a manual trans, only being able to shift a lot faster.

Check out the video on 4L65 on road course keeping engine it's power band.

Paddle Shifters for Hot Rods - The Shrifter

Show up to a Pro Touring Road course competition, with your 3000-4000 stalled A4 and see if your car like the rear end to pass the front end when you power out of a low speed turn.

This is the only thing i found but not sure if it has the tci paddle shift or not
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

uhhh thats supposed to be a video...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM

This what you were talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louc7MCETl4

Quick Reply: lq4 4l60e