Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

5.3 Swap into S10

Old 02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Swap into S10

Okay guys, here's the deal.

I locked the motor up on my S-10 yesterday, I had a 350 (not the same motor that I bought the truck with I already swapped blocks to a 4 bolt main)

Well I have a rough* silverado z71, that i am going to pull the 5.3, computer, harness, and transmission out of, well I've been researching this for the past month trying to find everything I can.

I need to know everything there is to know about everything that has to do with this swap. I have 9 days starting march 10th and ending march 19th to complete the swap.

I'll have my S-10 gutted and ready to accept everything from the Silverado. I just gotta transplant from the fsc to the mini in nine days. Any help you guys can offer will be appreciated more than I can express on a forum.

If there's the slightest thread of information you can contribute then don't hesitate, I may not have thought of what you have to say yet.

I'm positive I'm going to do it, I just need as few snags and problems as possible so that by the 19th I will be up and running with as little downtime as possible.

I have a strong mechanical background, although this will be my most extensive work as to date.

So words from the wise, words from the experenced chime in no trying to talk me out of it, just straight forward what do I need to know.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Launching!

depending on the year, fuel pressure may need to be changed, either by replacing the pump or you might get away with overdriving the factory pump...

you will need to cut the crossmember for the oilpan, and the frame rail if you run a/c

transmission bracket needs to be modified

did that help?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

you should visit the freindly folks at Street and Performance www.hotrodlane.cc
very knowledgeable at your very swap.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Default 5.3l swap

I have some supporting info that may help you:

1.) you will most likely want to purchase a stand alone wiring harness from painless wiring part number# 60217, which will allow you to use the computer from the z71, and interface with the s-10, with only minor wiring thereafter.

2.) you should be able to use 96-99 5.7 truck accessory brackets on a 5.3 with minor trimming/drilling for the water pump area on the gen. 4 motors.

3.) you may want to try to find shortie headers to fit a trailblazer/envoy, or stock manifolds, they fit better due to firewall clearance in the engine compartment, if any other specific ques. just ask....
Old 02-10-2006, 04:50 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man this question couldnt have came at a better time, ia also trying to find info on swapping a complete drivetrain(2002 5.3/4l60e/transfercase) into my 1995 S-10 ZR-2 ext cab. i just want to know if it will physically fit. and how to mount it. 97V8, youll need a wiring harness, fuel pump, motor mounts and youll have to check out how to plumb in to the fuel rail on the motor.if any one has done what im trying to do please help. the stock4.3/tranny is blown and i think it will be about the same cost to do the v-8 swap as to replace the 4.3+ the tranny. Thanks in advance, Tim
Old 02-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Default s-10 4.3 to 5.3

Tim, your s-10 came with a 4l60E transmission, as long as the tranny from the 5.3L IS pre-03' they are the same 99%. In 03'they did some revisions to the now called 4L65E, but the big difference is the transfer case,the s-10 should have had a push-button case,while a fullsize could have had a floor actuated new venture case,or the push-button new process case,big difference,anything can be done,but an s-10 4x4 has alot of equipment stuffed in a small space,so it makes a difference, let me know a little more info. and I can probably help you out.....
Old 02-14-2006, 03:46 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks jrodenali, i talked to a guy that said the same thing, the v-6 and v-8 4l60e will bolt to my s-10 push button t-case, so i guess the only "hard"part left is maybe some slight crossmember mods for the 5.3 oil pan and some motor mounts and the new engine should be home free.BTW, i dont reccomend using the V-6 trans behind the v-8, im using a 2002 5.3/4l60e from a silverado and this is the last year for the cable throttle body. any thing else im missing? i also know ill need some e fans, i just hope all the accesories fit, im not to concerned about the a/c comp, if it fits great if it doesnt its in the trash.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

may also want to look into a high quality aluminum radiator.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Teching In

thanks for all the info guys, I've already got alot of stuff from my older conversion such as a griffon radiator, all my right accessory brackets, I'll either use the 4L60E out of the truck like I first planned or stick with my TH400 that I have from the S10.

It's already beefed up, shift kit and everything..

I've already ordered my LS1 conversion headers they should have been here over a week ago.

I'm a network administrator/repair techinician, and deal with wiring daily so I believe I can handle the wiring job. I know it's alot different from what I usually do, but I have pretty high skill with wiring and working with things of the sort. I've already got all my wiring diagrams from both trucks so i've looked over them and believe I can make my harness.

I'm going to move the firewall back for extra clearance. I plan on doing away with my master cylinder and running my braking system off my power steering pump.

I plan on making my motor mounts, I did when I put the 350 in and they held up great and were the perfect fit.

UPDATE on progress I have the engine and tranny out, I'm going through my old wiring tommarow and starting to pull everything that I'll need to.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a camera would you mind taking some pictures of the progress? I'm sure some documenting some of this might be really helpful to someone in the future... just some food for thought. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 Swap into S10