Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

4.8 F/I to carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 F/I to carb

i got an 06 4.8 and im looking at the Edelbrock performer ls1 carb swap kit and was wondering if it is a plug and play type thing or if i am going to have to make some changes like fuel delivery, sensors, throttle linkage etc. what are the pros and cons of this setup?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no efi to carb setup will be "plug and play". pros and cons will completely depend on your perspective. what are your plans for the engine? what's it going in and what are you doing with the vehicle?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya what are your plans for it?

FI to Carb never makes sense to me, eventhough I am a carb fan
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see the benefits of this... maybe on big cubes, nitrous, blowthrough, etc...
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

It's kinda plug and play, but not really lol

You'll have to get a gas pedal assembly from an older truck with drive by cable or make your own since your truck is drive by wire

Some people use the stock pump with a low pressure regulator to feed to the carb, but it's not recommended. I redid my entire fuel system when I put the carb on mine

When you put a carb on, the only sensors that then must be used are the crank sensor and cam sensor. I use the MSD 6LS. It seems to be more favorable than the edelbrock.

Then unless you have a manual valve body trans, you have to figure out how your going to make your trans shift.

Depends on how far you want to take it. It's pretty involved.

I love the carb but it was not an easy feat to make it all work.

"not easy" may not be the best way to describe it but "time consuming" is a pretty good description.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chriscon7
Ya what are your plans for it?

FI to Carb never makes sense to me, eventhough I am a carb fan
for a daily driver the EFI is certainly far more user friendly and convenient, turn key and go. no worries about having an unfamiliar driver hopping in your rig and fouling things up. still, i've yet to drive any fuel injected vehicle that can compare to the feel of a dialed in carburetor. the LS engines efi is pretty good though and very tunable. the most logical reason to run a carb on one IMO is in an old vehicle that the LS was not native to if you didn't want to deal with running all the wiring necessary to make them work.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered abuser

"I'm gonna throws me a 7 fiddy double pumper on mah 4.8L that EFI stuff is junk, I can't make it work with mah 3/4 race cam"

This thread is ******* stupid.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
This thread is ******* stupid.
Why is that?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered abuser

Because, if you're asking "what needs to be changed" Then you more than likely are talking about doing it in a relatively stock vehicle that is already running and driving.

If someone was asking about it in a swap or all out drag vehicle using an LS long block, then I can see the point. Otherwise, FI to carb is a real sore spot with me, I thought people wised up and stopped doing it 20 years ago.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

It's not a simple swap. I researched for a solid month before I put the carb on my truck. It's just plug and play if you want to keep some factory accessories.

I love my carburetor. It's easier for me to understand so that I can tune it myself. I picked up 9mph and dropped almost .1 in the 60' and .3 in the 1/4 when I made the switch on my 383. Carburetors have come a long ways in 20years. It's a little more upkeep than f/i but I don't have any stupid electrical issues anymore.

I don't have any troubles starting my truck no matter the temp outside. No pumping the gas pedal, nothin stupid. Turn the fuel pump on, turn the key and it starts. Cruise at 15:1 a/f, 11.5:1 wot(boosted). I love the feel of my PROPERLY TUNED carb. If I were to let someone drive my truck and didn't tell them it had a carb, I'd bet they couldn't tell a difference

Quick Reply: 4.8 F/I to carb