Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

4.3L Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3L Mods

Hey, I got a 2002 Sonoma SLS 4.3L with 4l60E. I was wondering what are some cheap upgrades I can do to get some more power, and maybe better mileage? I have a K&N cone filter, I guess aftermarket MAF cuz it doesn't have a screen, a flexalite fan, and Dual exhaust.

I was looking at maybe some underdrive pulleys, a TB spacer, MSD 6A ignition box, and maybe a piece of 3'' aluminum intake tube that I can put in place of that rubber intake tube?

BTW, can someone explain what a ''vette servo'' is, and what it does? Would this help my 1/4mi. ET? Is there a way to tell what my rear axle ratio is? Are there any ''free mods'' that can be done?

Thanks, I'm new to tuning EFI. I have worked with carbed motors forever.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

search for the vette servo answers... They are a cheap upgrade for your tranny and they do help out a lot.

pulleys and a TB spacer will actally help out your motor quite a bit. porting and polishing those heads will get you some gains as well... Leave the plastic intake tube and maybe just change it out for a bigger one. The aluminum will heat up and raise your IAT's. (intake air temps) robbing you of a little power. what kind of exhaust do you have? shorty headers on those 4.3's help out too. just a few options... and then you always have power adders such as f/i or nitrous... keep those in mind.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would get an MSD ingnition. You won't so much notice a power difference, but it will have better throttle response. If your budget allows you might check this out http://wynjammer.com/ALM1115/GM_S10_4.html Look at this also http://wynjammer.com/ALM1115/Als_Workbench.html It allows you to run more boost. Looks cool too.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
shorty headers on those 4.3's help out too.
Thats not completly true. It has been proven that the stock exhaust manifolds flow pretty damn good compared to any aftermarket shorty header such as gibson, obx, thorley, etc. You wont notice or actually gain any real numbers with the shorties. but heddman does make a set of longtubes for the 1st gen 4.3's and they fit fine in our 2nd get s-series trucks and suv's. all you have to do is a little grinding and you're set. you WILL notice gains with the longtubes. especially with a good exhaust.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk_blazer00
Thats not completly true. It has been proven that the stock exhaust manifolds flow pretty damn good compared to any aftermarket shorty header such as gibson, obx, thorley, etc. You wont notice or actually gain any real numbers with the shorties. but heddman does make a set of longtubes for the 1st gen 4.3's and they fit fine in our 2nd get s-series trucks and suv's. all you have to do is a little grinding and you're set. you WILL notice gains with the longtubes. especially with a good exhaust.
I've heard that if you are running tubular control arms, you don't even have to grind.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Launching!

you're 100% correct
Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Teching In

My truck is setup like this:
Manifolds-> Two pipes->converter-> Two pipes out-> exit on right rear side.

No mufflers on it at all. Its quiet and sounds pretty good.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Launching!

no mufflers and its quiet? well i guess that the cat muffles it some. Hows the performance side of it? Ive hear that the dual exhaust set up with no cat and one of those dynomax Ultraflo X mufflers is killer sounding and has some really noticable gains.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I really cant compare it to stock because it was setup like this when I bought it. I was told it had magnaflows but I guess it has ultra flows. It's kinda poppy when you let it rev to 5k and let off.

Hey, there's a crescent thats riveted onto the bottom of the throttle body blade. Can I remove it? It looks to take up 1/3rd of the throttle bore. So wont removing it increase throttle response and power?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

yea there is a way to remove it but ive heard that its a waste unless you are making some big HP. are you on s10forum?

Quick Reply: 4.3L Mods