Notices

can i use nitrous on this lightning???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default can i use nitrous on this lightning???

a friend of mine just bought a lightning 2001, the person he bought it from has no idea what was done too it or who did it nothing.... but it has a lot of power cuz it wins a stock lightning easy... the supercharger makes ALOT of noise so we messured the pullys and bottom is 9.5 and the upper is 3 1/4 wish we found is 18 boost! am i right??? ok the question is is that a lot of boost? is that nearly stock? can we put a nitrous system too it? or wount the motor hold that??

other stuff we sow the truck had was headers, traction bars ( wish im not sure if they some so stock) and the rear end has been opened, probably gears

please someone who knows about this let me know what u know!!!

thanx a lot
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a locker, and gears, just gears. That sucks not knowing. Sounds like a worst purchase to ever make.

However. Its too hard to make a call. The motor could be forged but you dont even know that. The only way to tell is track down the owner who did it or rip it apart. I wouldnt run nitrous personally. I would look in to a meth kit (assuming the motor is stock) so you dont hurt the motor. If you're set on nitrous why not? A stock motor would take it so run it till it blows if you want.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kinda of meth kit, any links??

it seems like the motor has never been opened, miles are at 102000, we think they did just the pulleys, but anyways the reason im asking is cuz i dont know if a lot of boost and then still nitrous will hold? here are a couple of lightning with stock pulleys 100% stock motor and runnin a good amount of nitrous and they hold but i wouldnt know if it would hold cuz of the boost, cuz i understand the motor gets a lot of strees already with the pulleys.... but again i dont know a lot about superchargers...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just because thats what the odometer reads doesn't mean its true. My VIN number also reads "4.8"....

Trever is running I think something like a 75 shot. I dont think I'd do more than a 100 shot. I personally am not a fan of nitrous but its an option.

Do some research tho. Im not big on information on nitrous and superchargers.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else who would know what to do??
Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off what blower do you have? does it say EATON or SVT on the front? 18psi is that a guess or do you have a good boost gauge?

where did you measure the pulley? you need to measure it from the belt surface.

get a bore scope and run it through the drain plug to see if you have H or I beam rods?

If you are stock internals I would not run nitrous, unless it's a small 25-50 shot to cool down your IAT temps due to the eaton pushing a lot of hot air into the engine

good luck and post up some pics!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hit it with a 50 shot (wet). It would make a big difference in a boosted application.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 PM

well first off i bet its not fully forged because who spends the money on forged internals just for a pulley! if your going to run nos then i would def. run no more than a 75 shot and go get it fully dyno-tuned to do so! and even then your taking a chance on slingin a rod. personally i would just stick to bolt ons untill you know for sure if its forged!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

If you are making 18# boost you are not doing it with a stock Eaton. With that boost, i hope you have forged internals. We need lots more info to give good advice. N2O is usable if you have right setup. What fuel pumps?...
Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

wow...i wonder if he got figured out between now and ONE YEAR AGO

Quick Reply: can i use nitrous on this lightning???