INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Stock cam choices in LM7

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm putting that early Fbody cam in a turbocharged LM7. It would help a little at the expense of some tq on the very low end. It would be a easy swap if sticking with stock springs, although a newer set of stock springs wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by mike058
The Sokemup.com site is where I got the idea from. Just wondering if the early F body or 6.0 cam would help, since a stock cam would be cheap and not push the limits on my worn engine. Plans are to acquire the bolt ons as I get closer to the build, to maximize the new engine without changing too many things at once.
I have built several chevy SB engines, both carb and FI and am taking this slow. Saw a buddy of mine change everything in one build and he never got it running right.
I have a plan based on the collective wisdom of all you guys that have already laid out the cash and skinned your nuckles. I was just thinking (never a good thing) about "a little more" until then. Sounds like I should just relax until I pull the engine/trans in the future.
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.
Personally, I would just do the bolt on stuff with a tune untill you build another engine.

I know you mean well but the time and effort it takes to swap a cam and in this case such a small change in cam you would be better of spending a little more money and get something that is taylored to what your looking for. You might also be supprised in the difference you get from the the bolt ons and a tune.

With that being said.

There are plenty of places right here in California that can regrind a stock cam to work better for what you want. As stock48 mentioned stay with a low lift. Add just a little more duration and tighten the LSA up. To re-grind a cam is actually really cheap. If you do ad a cam, change the valve springs for insurance. You don't need any thing special. The stock facory corvette yellow springs which have been discontinued or the new Blue springs will be plenty.

Unfortunitly we can not post the name of non sponser's but if you contact any local speed shop or Engine rebuilder they will tell you whom the use.