INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

old school newbie, a bit confused

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old school newbie, a bit confused

My last build was in the eighty's before the kids started coming. Now they're all grown up and I want to build my 2004 GMC 2500HD 4wd 6.0. My questions are about what's going to happen to my ECM, my O2 sensor and my drive by wire throttle body when I do a set of headers a mild mid range cam, roller assembly and port and polish the heads. I have 4.88's in the pumpkin's, this is a plowing, carrying pulling machine. I'm looking for as much performance as possible from a stock bottom end. I believe in making things breathe really good. I like the idea of TBFI especially when it's cold outside, like minus 30 the old girl starts right up.. I have no experience at all with these new computerized systems, like this drive by wire thing especially. Any info at all will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance. PS I hope this is right part of the forum!!!!!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be scared, I was an older Chevy guy too. The LS engines are a great engine. You don't need to do much work to have a reliable engine that makes great power. The heads flow great, and the bottom ends are bulletproof. I wouldn't even take off a rod cap if the engine is a good running clean engine. Good flowing heads always help, but these heads flow much better than anything GM had back in the 80's. Basically (if I remember right) the old camel back heads that were the best in the day flowed right around 194 CFM. The 317 heads you have on your engine outflow the old camel backs easily right out of the box, and can be made to flow over 300 without a ton of money. I would get them CNC'd just to make sure every port flows equally. Another option is Jegs. Jegs offers a top end package including gaskets, CNC'd heads (the better newer heads that would require a different intake) and lots of useful parts for under 1500. The computer needs to have a tune, but that is no problem. You will need a tuner to bring the engine to its potential. For a cam, I would contact stock48 for something that will be the best all around cam.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spiritfish
My last build was in the eighty's before the kids started coming. Now they're all grown up and I want to build my 2004 GMC 2500HD 4wd 6.0. My questions are about what's going to happen to my ECM, my O2 sensor and my drive by wire throttle body when I do a set of headers a mild mid range cam, roller assembly and port and polish the heads. I have 4.88's in the pumpkin's, this is a plowing, carrying pulling machine. I'm looking for as much performance as possible from a stock bottom end. I believe in making things breathe really good. I like the idea of TBFI especially when it's cold outside, like minus 30 the old girl starts right up.. I have no experience at all with these new computerized systems, like this drive by wire thing especially. Any info at all will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance. PS I hope this is right part of the forum!!!!!

Im in the same boat as you as far as old school.. Prior to just a couple years ago my last rebuilds consist of a 383, 400 Chevy's and several 455 Pontiacs. I was a little nervous at first but did alot of reading and asking questions untill I just said heck with it.. "How much damage could I possibly do"?..lol Get on Amazon and purchase a couple LS engine books that specialize in rebuilding, modding and what not and get after it. There is a point of over thinking it. Look up EPS in Baton Rouge and talk to Geoff. Explain what ya want. He will not do you wrong. Heck Im pulling my first cam out now that he specked. It will be up for sell soon. Probably with be near what he will recommend! Has about 8K miles on it..... Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Default thank you

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Don't be scared, I was an older Chevy guy too. The LS engines are a great engine. You don't need to do much work to have a reliable engine that makes great power. The heads flow great, and the bottom ends are bulletproof. I wouldn't even take off a rod cap if the engine is a good running clean engine. Good flowing heads always help, but these heads flow much better than anything GM had back in the 80's. Basically (if I remember right) the old camel back heads that were the best in the day flowed right around 194 CFM. The 317 heads you have on your engine outflow the old camel backs easily right out of the box, and can be made to flow over 300 without a ton of money. I would get them CNC'd just to make sure every port flows equally. Another option is Jegs. Jegs offers a top end package including gaskets, CNC'd heads (the better newer heads that would require a different intake) and lots of useful parts for under 1500. The computer needs to have a tune, but that is no problem. You will need a tuner to bring the engine to its potential. For a cam, I would contact stock48 for something that will be the best all around cam.
Thanks Gadgetized, good info, I guess I have been a bit intimidated, but what the heck, here I go
Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SlowDude
Im in the same boat as you as far as old school.. Prior to just a couple years ago my last rebuilds consist of a 383, 400 Chevy's and several 455 Pontiacs. I was a little nervous at first but did alot of reading and asking questions untill I just said heck with it.. "How much damage could I possibly do"?..lol Get on Amazon and purchase a couple LS engine books that specialize in rebuilding, modding and what not and get after it. There is a point of over thinking it. Look up EPS in Baton Rouge and talk to Geoff. Explain what ya want. He will not do you wrong. Heck Im pulling my first cam out now that he specked. It will be up for sell soon. Probably with be near what he will recommend! Has about 8K miles on it..... Good Luck!
Thanks slow dude I am getting some good info here as well as some confidence building, I never been much afraid to tear stuff up, just don't like paying for it. Will get some more literature for sure, thanks again
Old 08-27-2015, 02:58 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I like this book personally,
How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop): Joseph Potak: 9780760335437: Amazon.com: Books How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop): Joseph Potak: 9780760335437: Amazon.com: Books
Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Yes, I have that ^^^^^book and a few others. The more info the merrier I say!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:46 AM

Thank you Atomic I will lo0k into it