INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Oil Cooler; Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in AZ
Oil temp dictates the necessity for an oil cooler.
this is what i plan on doing. Here in AZ it gets quite warm and I plan on adding a turbo in the near future so i would like to be able to keep an eye on the oil temps . I am going to install a temp gauge shortly to see how my oil temps are pre-turbo install and will be nice to have a more accurate way of knowing if the engine is ready to go full speed (or if i need to lay off / get a cooler)

_zblee
Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been a fan of coolers. The replacement radiator in my old suburban had one built in. So I bought fittings and hose to hook it up, thought I would do it right and got Aeroquip pushlock fittings. One popped off on the way home from picking up the food for my now ex-wife's birthday party. Pumped all the oil out, due to the heat in July, and the stress of her party, I didn't notice that I had no oil pressure until it lost power and seized. Not the most fun day of my life!!!! Not the reason for the divorce either, but it didn't help!

So, while they can be a very good thing if they are needed, they are another failure point in the system.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zblee
this is what i plan on doing. Here in AZ it gets quite warm and I plan on adding a turbo in the near future so i would like to be able to keep an eye on the oil temps . I am going to install a temp gauge shortly to see how my oil temps are pre-turbo install and will be nice to have a more accurate way of knowing if the engine is ready to go full speed (or if i need to lay off / get a cooler)

_zblee
Same - can never be too cool out here in the heat of summer. If you tow anything out here, there are some decent grades that heats things up quite a bit. My F-250 pulling 9k lbs up summit point or rye it's easy to see temps in the 230's and that thing has more coolers on it than I can count.

I have one on my engine now - but it's the factory lines with barb fittings. Don't really trust them too much so when I'm ready I'm gonna go with AN fittings and an aftermarket cooler with fittings to match. I don't tow, but I know I'll be beating on it in the dunes soon.