INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

My LQ4 427 build

Old 06-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing I would change is going from spring over to spring under, or doing a short course style 4 link. Axle wrap is a beech and I'd hate to see it cause any damage to the rest of the truck if you break a leaf or u-bolt. I've seen it happen to guys with a fraction of the hp you have on smaller tires.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mconcha
The only thing I would change is going from spring over to spring under, or doing a short course style 4 link. Axle wrap is a beech and I'd hate to see it cause any damage to the rest of the truck if you break a leaf or u-bolt. I've seen it happen to guys with a fraction of the hp you have on smaller tires.
Gonna put in a center mount trac bar to prevent axle wrap eventually. I'm not racing it, just having fun with it. If I were serious I'd do a trailing arm setup with a wishbone style top link making it a 3 link. But I would need a cage before I did that
Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Wait a minute here. Anything over a 4" stroke in a stock block doesn't work. You must be lying to us.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blown06
Wait a minute here. Anything over a 4" stroke in a stock block doesn't work. You must be lying to us.
I wish I was - I bought the entire setup before I read all the hype around it. Like I said, I'm documenting for the rest of us. I have no pride in it and will post my problems as much as my successes.

Keep you all posted!
Old 06-23-2016, 02:35 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I originally wanted to do a 4.125" stroke crank in my current motor and in the beginning, my engine guy was all in too. For the most part I just let my engine guy do what he wants as I've never been able to destroy anything he's put together. I pretty much drop off a block and cash, tell him how it is going to be used and he calls when it's done. I guess after some thought he changed his mind (didn't even ask him why) and I ended up with a 4" crank.

Anyway, I remember posting on the bullet about wanting to do the 4.030"x4.125" combo in an iron 6.0 block. I didn't ask if was an issue, I just wanted comments from those who had done it and I pretty much got put on blast as everyone told me what a stupid idea that was with most citing durability issues and oil consumption. I ignored it for the most part as the people posting that **** either A. have never done it and like to just regurgitate stupid **** they read to sound like pros or B. refused to recognize the fact that I could care less about durability as the engine would not see mileage. I think I've put 10 miles on it so far (about 40 1/4 hits) and it's already been back in for a freshen up. I have a tendency to destroy head gaskets for some reason lol.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:37 AM
8 Second Truck Club

What is the cylinder wall thickness in an iron 6.0 at 4.070" bore?
Old 06-23-2016, 02:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blown06
What is the cylinder wall thickness in an iron 6.0 at 4.070" bore?
Good question 😂😂 it's a 2005 block so it should be plenty thick enough for NA and prob hold a 200shot
Old 06-23-2016, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Anything over a 4" stroke got a bad name back in the day because of poor piston design causing the problems you mentioned. That being said - I'm pretty sure Brian Tooley has had a 427 lq9 stroker with the 4.100" stroke run reliable and make decent power.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet build man. The idea of a 4.100" stroke has been stuck in my head for a while. Out of curiosity, why only a 11.4 compression?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1992rs
Sweet build man. The idea of a 4.100" stroke has been stuck in my head for a while. Out of curiosity, why only a 11.4 compression?
Only 11.4?

lol and actually I thought that was pretty high. I went with a 10cc dished piston because I thought I'd go with a blower soon and it was the least amount of dish available. Flat top pistons would have put my compression ratio through the roof and too much for pump gas. Being pump gas friendly was always a concern too.

I felt that 11.4 was a good balance for NA power and later getting the heads done with the combustion chambers cnc'd so I'd end up in the high 10's for compression making for a decent street blower combo with E85.

Once I get my Ported L92 intake sorted out I feel the power levels and mid range torque should make the truck pretty fun. The fuel rails I just ordered from Holley are apparently made for their "sniper" manifold and don't work on the factory manifold. So now I'm gonna have to make a set of LS3 rails fit.

That and I'm having my torque converter re-stalled higher and changing the shift firmness in my valve body so it should make my truck a lot more fun to drive.

I'm still thinking about the BTR cam - it'd probably still make the same power but would be nicer to the valvetrain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My LQ4 427 build