INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

My LQ4 427 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it back on the road tonight and did some tuning and let me just say hot damn!

My truck is starting to feel like what I thought it would. The split fuel trims seem to be a whole lot better. For some reason right at 2400rpm cruise they start to deviate from each other by about 5% It must be attributed to the adjustable rockers. Been reading quite a bit on them lately and they say they can be a finicky b!tch. Everyone is saying they should be adjusted hot and pumped up to find their sweet spot. I'll have to do that one of these days before I go back to the Dyno cell for tuning. They are so quiet I can't believe it.

This thing actually has some torque below 3k now. I spun these 37's on the 1-2 shift like never before. I cannot wait to get a real tune on it. I must say, I would have never thought the lifter preload would cause this, but is makes sense as to why it would. Experience > instructions all day haha.

I also messed with the multi table to try and dial in the lean tip in off idle and it seemed to make a positive change right away tonight. I definitely need to dial it in some more, but it is leaps and bounds better than before.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:22 AM
Launching!

Oh and I switched to rotella t6 5w-40 after the cam swap. I seem to have a little bit more pressure when hot - according to the factory gauge it looks like 5-10psi higher at idle. Switched from RP 5w30 hps oil
Old 09-27-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What are the specs on the new cam?

How close are you to Mesa? I'm out here on business for awhile.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:46 PM
Launching!

239/254 .624"/.595" 113+5

I'm really close to Mesa, but Mesa is kinda big. Where abouts are you staying while you're here for work? I'm actually in Tempe.

BTW - did some more tuning on the Multi table, lean spot is completely gone but I went too far in some areas so I need more time to dial it back. I can now punch it from a stop and roast the tires with ease, no brake stand. Also, I feathered into it and noticed I lose traction easily. and before I thought my trans shfted to harshly, but with this new found torque I think it might feel just about right.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm staying on McKellips Rd. I was out in Tempe last night, went to a taco place... Fuzzy's. It was pretty damn good.

As for the cam... that thing is meaty, I bet it sounds real good.

You get that truck out in the desert much around here?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Launching!

I built it to take to Glamis CA Sand Dunes, and since I haven't installed the locker in the axle yet I really haven't taken it off road. I still need to install the bump stops before I really go ripping. I hope to have it all together by Halloween weekend.

The cam sounds great actually. I honestly feel like I could go bigger haha. With my valvetrain situation figured out I may throw the holley Hi-ram back on just to see what a difference it is. I have switching the manifolds down to a science so it wouldn't surprise me if I did it during a test and tune night down at the track.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice thread - I'm currently pushing a 383 Stroker in my '04 Sierra RCSB but plan on dropping in a 427 this summer. Going to pick up a Dart short block and have my builder do the rest. The AFR heads I'm running now are actually meant for a larger bore so that'll save me some $ in the end. Just need to settle on a semi-aggressive cam that I can stand on my daily commute to and from work. Don't really drive long distances with it so...
Old 11-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Launching!

The BTR stage 3 for 400+ ci is really nice except mine is +5 instead of the +3 they advertise. You could just install it +2 and get the same thing I have. I have the stock ls3/l92 heads and stock L92 truck intake and it feels plenty strong. With the 5.13 gears I have serious traction problems on my 37" tires.

I just swapped out the 5.13's for 4.10's but haven't had a chance to drive it yet since I'm having a brake line issue. Ordered new lines to be here on Thursday. I want to see how the cam does with the gearing change, but I don't think it would be that drastic. My converter is pretty tight too, probably 2200-2300 stall
Old 11-22-2016, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I was looking at the BTR Stage 4 but not sure I want to rattle my bones quite that much. Tempting though...Finally got the 80e in and performing like I want - I'll have fun with it this winter and put some pennies away for the 427 short block. Just going to keep the beast NA for awhile.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken how is the drivability of that BTR stroker cam? I drive my rig daily and have a 3600 stall. Out of all of the cams I have looked at this one seems to be the one to go with. They say it makes some serious power.

Also could you post an exhaust clip please?

Thanks

Quick Reply: My LQ4 427 build