INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LQ9 Swap Plans and Help

Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still making slow progress. Cleaning everything takes forever!

Took the front cover back off since I was second guessing the timing alignment due to the way I installed the LS2 dampener. It was all good when I got in there, but at least I'm comfortable with it now. Installed the timing chain and cam gear before installing the dampener this time and used the Alignit tool for the front cover seal.

Got the heads back from the machine shop early last week so the 317s came off and I cleaned up the block surface, installed new lifters and trays, and then put the 799s on with GM gaskets and ARP head bolts.

Used the GM studs and nuts for the exhaust.

Also installed the trunnion bushing upgrade in the rockers.

I had assumed the knock sensors would be good since it was a low mileage engine, and I was just going the silicone the covers and run them. But decided to check them out will they were easy to get to. The rear was full of water! Seems weird with as long as this engine has sat and with me turning it over multiple times on the stand but oh well. I'm gonna go ahead and order new ones this week and replace them while they are easy to get to.

I picked up the coolant crossover and hose to the radiator for a NNBS truck since I'm using that style intake and throttle body and the hose doesn't run through the newer style throttle body. Hopefully that will all fit without any problems.

I've been trying to check pushrod length with the Comp checker. Not sure if I'm doing it right. Seems like 7.375 is a little short and 7.425 is right at max spec. I was recommended 7.400 length with the custom cam specs I got so I'll probably just run those.

And still having trouble with the hydroboost conversion. The LQ9 came with the PS pump for Hydroboost so I wanted to do the conversion. My master cylinder doesn't fit the hydrobooster I got though. It's wider than the hydrobooster mounting bolts. Not sure if it's worth it to mess with changing master cylinders or just staying with a vacuum booster.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Got it started today!

About a minute after starting it there was smoke coming from it which gave me a pretty good scare. I cut it off and couldn't find any leaks so I started it up again. Turned out to just be some oil between the manifolds and the heat shields as well as some left over penetrating oil on the manifold studs at the y-pipe connection. It burned off in a few minutes.

Truck has good oil pressure and is nice and smooth when on the throttle.

I ended up swapping in the Hydroboost brake booster and the master cylinder that came with it so I need to bleed the brakes and get all the other fluids back up to the right level before I can drive it, but overall I'm pretty excited it's running!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Teching In

I do have one problem that's giving me some trouble. I've lost the instrument cluster, door chimes, and noticed my power windows don't work with the key on but the engine not running. As soon as the truck is started everything comes back and works fine.

I'm hoping it's a fuse, but didn't get time to check them all tonight. Anybody ever see something like this before?