INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Crank pulley came off now metal in the oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank pulley came off now metal in the oil

On my way home from the track, my crank pulley came off on the highway. (No it wasn't pinned) I had to buy a new pulley because the old one was worn so bad. The crank didn't seem to be worn. I finally got everything back together and pulled the truck into the garage and I figured I better drain the oil. The plug had a lot of fine oily metal sludge and shaving stuck to it. I found the sludge and grit in the filter also.
Do you think the metal made it out of the pan and past the filter???? Is the motor ruined???
Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

if its in the oil filter then yes id say your motors life span has been shorted
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02_Orange_D1SC
if its in the oil filter then yes id say your motors life span has been shorted
Shortened or definitely toast?
If it's in the filter, does that mean it circulated through the motor?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

It really depends what the metal looks like. How many miles since the last change? Give it a nice short interval with this next oil change and see how it looks.

4" stroke LS motors are known to show premature wear on bore and rings so that could be some of what you're seeing.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 PM

how long did you drive the truck with no crank pulley
Old 10-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
It really depends what the metal looks like. How many miles since the last change? Give it a nice short interval with this next oil change and see how it looks.

4" stroke LS motors are known to show premature wear on bore and rings so that could be some of what you're seeing.
I hope you're right. Roughly 1500 miles since last oil change. About 4500 miles on the motor. I do believe some of this metal is from the pulley.

Originally Posted by 02_Orange_D1SC
how long did you drive the truck with no crank pulley
I didn't realize I had a problem until the truck overheated. I quickly pulled over. The pulley and bolt were just hanging there. I would guess a couple of miles, because the way the inside of the pulley is worn.

I hope I don't have to tear this motor apart. Or worse, replace it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:12 PM

since the motor only has one oil change and 4500 miles its still fresh so theres gonna be some metal in the oil if the nexted time you change the oil theres still a lot of metal in the filter id say the motor needs to be pulled out and checked

and if you spun the crank pulley on the snout of the crank the crank might be messed up now
Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Launching!

I pressed a new pulley on. It definitely wasn't easy to put on. I think the crank is fine.
If I run it with fresh oil do I run the risk of causing more damage if the metal circulated through the whole motor?

The pinning kit, ARP bolt, and locktite came yesterday. I'm just not sure if I need to tear it down or not.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by SSmikeSS
I pressed a new pulley on. It definitely wasn't easy to put on. I think the crank is fine.
If I run it with fresh oil do I run the risk of causing more damage if the metal circulated through the whole motor?

The pinning kit, ARP bolt, and locktite came yesterday. I'm just not sure if I need to tear it down or not.
if it were me id change the oil and run it for few hundred miles and then pull the filter and cut it open if theres still metal in there pull the motor out and find out what the deal is
Old 10-31-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My ASP crank pulley came off in a parking lot, luckily I was able to tighten it up slightly and drive it 2 miles home, put the stock pulley back on and have had no issues. I can wedge the stock pulley with a crow bar to tighten up to 240-250ftlbs but the ASP pulley has no slots to put a crowbar through and I thought my heavy duty impact wrench would do the job.....wrong.

Don't mean to thread jack, but have any of you ran a ASP pulley or similar and know how to properly tighten it up?

For your situation would it be wise to get some cheap oil and run it 10-20 miles drain and repeat as many times as it takes to see no more metal?

Quick Reply: Crank pulley came off now metal in the oil