INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Chevy 5.3 cam swap- things to replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really wish someone on the board was close to me and would offer to help that has actual experience working on lsx motors. everyone seems to be in texas though.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by terravast4
oil pump while you are there
This must be the "in" thing to do, right? Gotta put in that modified, high output oil pump right because everyone does it. When was the last time you heard of an oil pump failing? How often do you hear about pinched o rings and subsequent threads about "I have no oil pressure HELP"? My opinion is just leave everything the way it is. I would buy a cam swap kit from TSP that has all new gaskets, but even that's not required.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
This must be the "in" thing to do, right? Gotta put in that modified, high output oil pump right because everyone does it. When was the last time you heard of an oil pump failing? How often do you hear about pinched o rings and subsequent threads about "I have no oil pressure HELP"? My opinion is just leave everything the way it is. I would buy a cam swap kit from TSP that has all new gaskets, but even that's not required.
While I can't believe you agreed with me on something, you gotta give the guy a break. The speed shops are gonna try to push as much of that **** on the guys buying cams as they can get away with. I fell victom to this on my first swap, I let TSP talk me into a LS2 timing set (while I was ordering pushrods), that I didn't use and ended up losing money on, selling it on Ebay. But hey they made a few extra bucks off me. I have worked in retail, a few years out of my life, and they make the "upsale" a priority in all occasions...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil pump isn't manditory but I have seen a few fail on the early LS trucks. Might be some cheep insurance to change the chain and pump. If you do happen to change the pump I would go with a stock pump not the high volume that everyone will try to sell you, and use the red O ring. You can give me a call and I'll walk you through it.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
You can spend the extra 30-60 minutes replacing it, or it can fail during the swap like mine did. It happens more than you realize. I did mine with 99,000 miles too about the same as his.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 AM
11 Second Truck Club

So what caused it to fail during the swap?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MPFD
His installation........
Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, the only oil pumps worth changing are the early LS1 oil pumps.

And to Hodge, you really don't need a dyno tune for your truck, its pretty stock and I don't see a reason why you should choose a dyno tune over a standard street tune
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I retract my previous statement...

Last edited by MPFD; 12-02-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MPFD
I did the cam install with the help of 1slow01z71. Everything went fine with the exception of that. We didn't touch the timing chain or anything. We buttoned everything back up, and primed it without actually starting it and never saw oil pressure. This was 3 years ago, but still a 7 year old engine is going to have crap on it and could possibly fall into the engine or get dislodged while doing the cam swap. That's the only reasoning I can find for why the oil pump failed.

I will tell you that we were more than careful.

Last edited by RandomHero; 12-02-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Chevy 5.3 cam swap- things to replace