INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Budget Turbo 4.8 motor build up

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Turbo 4.8 motor build up

Hi Guys, I have been running my Trick turbo 4.8 for over 2 years now with no major issues.
Truck is in sig.
I bought a back up motor I'm building to swap out my current runner.

The motor is 2009 4.8 with 150K on it and is spotless inside.

I don't want to spend much just make a reliable DD and keep the boost around 12psi. I have ran 11psi for my 2 boosted years.

I have seen allot of talk about triple 12 cam? ls7 lifters? and lots of others but I would like some personalised advise.
Thank you all in advance!

My questions are

What cam?

What Lifters?

What pushrods? ( two of them in the new motor are damaged)

What head gaskets?

is there anything else I should do inside the motor for a reliable DD at this boost level?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

A triple 12 cam and new "LS7" stock lifters would work fine.

New factory head gaskets would work or you can buy like some LS9 gaskets. Head stubs or new bolts is up to you.

I'd remove the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan, it'll give you an extra 10 psi of oil pressure.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Ls9 gaskets would work for a small bore motor like the 4.8?
where is the pressure relief valve? I have the pan off now drilling for the oil return.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Didn't think about the 4.8, so maybe not. New factory gasket would still work.

The oil relief should be that little thing sticking out of the pan where the oil filter and block off plate is or if it has an oil cooler. I would assume the 4.8 has it, all the 5.3's and 6.2's have them. You'd just remove it and plug the hole.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

i just did this same build with my engine.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-build-543118/

I even have the oil pressure plug part number in there. Ended up with 630 wheel. it runs like a monster and i daily it. I did not use the ls9 gaskets because of the bore difference though I know tons of guys have with 4.8 and 5.3s. I used a 5.3 bored multi layer gasket.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

heres what i did to my shitty 4.8 that i have been abusing the last few years with zero issues

new ls2 timing chain
dual valve springs
comp hard pushrods
shim oil pump
ebay head studs
tu0 cam

everything else was cleaned and reused.
i pressure washed the head gaskets and sprayed them with copper coat and reused them
i moved the rotating assembly to a l33 block and reused all the bearings and rings and gaskets
if you have a mild enough cam you can use a set of 1218 springs and stock pushrods

i ran it for a couple years in my single turbo s10 then moved it to my twin turbo silverado about a year and a half ago. i drive it everywhere, have towed a trailer, and whatever else a truck does.

these motors are very easy to keep alive. really the only thing im careful about is the oil pickup oring. everything else you can basically just do blindfolded and it will be fine.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Default Awesome info

Originally Posted by Choda
i just did this same build with my engine.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-build-543118/

I even have the oil pressure plug part number in there. Ended up with 630 wheel. it runs like a monster and i daily it. I did not use the ls9 gaskets because of the bore difference though I know tons of guys have with 4.8 and 5.3s. I used a 5.3 bored multi layer gasket.
Thanks Choda,
Exactly what I was looking for real actual parts, info.. and results!

Did you notice any loss of low end out of boost torque? from the cam install?

and anything you would do different or recommend to someone following closely in your footsteps.
Thank you again, I have followed your truck from the start!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Some tear down pictures
Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo09
Thanks Choda,
Exactly what I was looking for real actual parts, info.. and results!

Did you notice any loss of low end out of boost torque? from the cam install?

and anything you would do different or recommend to someone following closely in your footsteps.
Thank you again, I have followed your truck from the start!
I dont have a true apples to apples comparison for a low end comparison. I changed a lot of things that impact a dynos torque and power. I dont feel a loss when I am cruising around. Hard to tell because the pulls were from different RPM starting points but with that being said, looking at the graphs - I would assume the "low end" off idle torque has slightly moved into higher RPM. Again, different converter, 30* diff in weather temp, different motor. Id search for a cam swap result only. Mine changed way to much to give real results of the cam. I can say that the graphs and my butt dyno shows a huge improvement in the upper RPMs. The truck actually PULLS up top now instead of just raising in rpm. I def felt a difference there. It was weird at first because the dash rpm gauge was pegged and i was doing 50mph in 1st gear lol. ~90 in 2nd.

Good question. If I did it again, I might have used arp rod bolts instead of reusing my stock ones. edit - and def replaced the motor and trans mounts. I have close to 115K on mine and the motor is making more than double it was intended to have.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Good call on the cam question, My truck feels completely different after just replacing my 3k stall with a 2k, so I understand.
Now that I have read the 4th stage of your build did you notice the turbo spooling a little later or a little more lag?
I have loved the 70mm for quick spooling but I see how much It was limiting your power..