INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

6.2 Rebuild Up coming. Looking for Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.2 Rebuild Up coming. Looking for Recommendations

The mileage is getting to the point where I want to start to plan and save for my rebuild. The vehicle is a 2008 Yukon Denali RWD.

I would want to rebuild with higher quality if not performance parts that would bring me more power and strength.

I dont want to sacrifice too much towing but I would be interested in finding the right stall for me to install during the rebuild. Just to do it while I am getting everything torn up.

I would also like to do a mild cam and keep the vvt. I do not really want too much lope at idle.

I'd also like to do long tubes during all this and I've always had my eyes on the kooks long tubes and y-pipes. I already run the 3.5" magnaflow cat-back. I am not interested in running true duals. I want the car to stay as quiet as possible.

I've been looking at Peak Performance ported manifold and 102mm throttle body. I'd like to hear if anyone has ever run one?
Also The AFE Stage 2 Intake 51-81072 has caught my eye.

I've looked through iamkeniff's thread's and seen him use LS7 lifters and things like that. I'm interested in doing things like this if I can. Basically I'd like to rebuild as fast and strong as I can while retaining all the engines features. I am not interested in changing the gears from 3.43 because I have a hard time with gas anyways. Not that I care all that much.

Also inputs are appreciated!

Some details on the truck. Like I said Magnaflow 3.5" cat-back, I used to have the Airaid Jr. but the damn thing wouldn't stay on so I sold it. Tire size is 295/35/24. 14 bolt rear end 3.43s. Need any other info please ask!

I have the AutoCal from BlackBearPerformance all I need is to buy a license for this vehicle.

Last edited by Blazed; 08-29-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The stock bottom end will handle pretty all the power you are looking to run, I don't see a need to make it stronger unless you are going to beat the **** outta the truck and be running 500-600+ WHP from it all the time. Some new bearings and seal and be done is what I'd do. Toss a cam in it and do head work if you want.

Also on the intake/ throttle body part of it. To me it would make no sense to upgrade the intake as you won't outflow it, as in make more power that it can support. The throttle body aswell, I guess you could change it for throttle feel or response but it could likely still flow enough for the power you'd be looking at.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

how many miles on engine?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
how many miles on engine?
about 90k! and climbing I drive at least 400 miles a week.

Last edited by Blazed; 08-30-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
The stock bottom end will handle pretty all the power you are looking to run, I don't see a need to make it stronger unless you are going to beat the **** outta the truck and be running 500-600+ WHP from it all the time. Some new bearings and seal and be done is what I'd do. Toss a cam in it and do head work if you want.

Also on the intake/ throttle body part of it. To me it would make no sense to upgrade the intake as you won't outflow it, as in make more power that it can support. The throttle body aswell, I guess you could change it for throttle feel or response but it could likely still flow enough for the power you'd be looking at.
I'd like to make some significant power increases...maybe I didn't word it right. Basically during the rebuild I'm looking to add power while I have the engine apart.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

We can understand that but how can be recommend stuff if you provide no info on what you are going to do??

My previous post still stands, you shouldnt need to upgrade the bottom end unless you are pushing some pretty high horsepower numbers. But if your wallet is big and you don't care, spend money where ever you want.

And at 90,000 miles it's not even broke in. I have like triple the miles and I'd slap a turbo on it with no cares.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:59 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazed
about 90k! and climbing I drive at least 400 miles a week.
I wouldnt even bother with the motor at that milage. Plenty of motors running strong with 100k+ miles. If anything put a cam n dod/vvt delete some hedders and a tune.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:47 AM
Teching In

There is a small noise I hear in the engine that based off what I've read I've chalked up to be a lifter. Thats what brought on this post.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

90k mi is nothing,do your top end mods,leave bottom alone.

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 09-01-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
90k mi is nothing,do your top end mods,leave bottom alone.
can you be more specific about the top end mods?

and the cam where can you recommend a custom grind vvt?

Quick Reply: 6.2 Rebuild Up coming. Looking for Recommendations