INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 recipe in prep for future boosted DD

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of very mild turbo 4.8 builds on here running low 11s and into the 10s.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im torn. Buy a 6.0 and boost it later or if people are building a 4.8 then boost it for something like that than I don't know what the difference in reliability and DD or either. If I'm going to build/rebuild a motor why not do it with the bigger one since every truck I'm looking at is around 150k miles and should probably be rebuilt or replace just for peace of mind. I could boost the 4.8 and just see how what will go first the motor or trans, but I don't want to be left stranded. I'm also using the truck as a truck and pulling a boat every weekend in the summer.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Engine with 150k miles or more are the best to boost. They already loosen up. Just put your cam, lifters springs pushrods,rockers upgrade ls9 head gasket. Head studs and crank the boost up with a good tune. Tho
Old 11-16-2015, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Mmmmmm, I don't think thats such a good idea. I'll look up some 4.8 set ups.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too was torn between 4.8 or 6.0. For me it came down to power goal. I can make the power i want from a 4.8 and save some coin so that's the route i'm going. I can always build a 6.0 in the mean time if I want to. I just couldn't justify buying a j/y 6.0 for $2kish when i can put that money towards a forged motor. Now if the 4.8 couldn't achieve my goals then i would have went for more cubes. Most J/Y engines that are being used for turbo builds are over 150k miles... Mine has 208,xxx (original truck engine not j/y pull) and I'm going to be running around 18-20 psi from a s475. Just don't get over aggressive with the tune. My plan is to make power with boost not timing. Get me to my goal but have a reliable tune. Also ill be spraying a bit of meth. I'm just replacing lifters, oil pump, and timing chain set as added insurance while i'm right there swapping cams!

Last edited by 03chevytruck; 11-17-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mdwatts11
The build won't be much different besides little parts here and there but most of the parts are the exact same.

1. Belltech 1.5/3 - suspension drop
2. Hellwig 7800 - sway bar for rear end
3. RaceReady cutout - yes a way to open your exhaust from in the cab
3. LS7 TB - Not necessary. Mine went bad so I upgraded
4. Blackbear Tune - ECU tune
5. Nitto 420s - Tires
6. Triple 12 - Nick name of a cam from stock48 on here it's a 212/212/112
7. Ls9 Head Gaskets - multi layer better for boost
8. Head Studs - Studs aren't a bad idea
9. BTR springs - Springs are a must when you have a cam. Many brands to choose from.
10. TSP Oil pump - Not required but a good time to upgrade with the engine apart.
11. LS7 lifters - Replacement lifters for the stock ones. Higher performance if you will
12. Comp Trunion Upgrade - Gets rid of the possibility of the stock needle bearing rockers to explode into your engine.
Triple 12 - Nick name of a cam from stock48, meaning a stock 4.8 motor? What is the advantage of that? What if I had a 4.8 instead of the 5.3 and should the 4.8 cam be left alone? I am just trying to find the perfect truck and a lot of 4.8s are coming up and after reading about them they are equally as desirable to me.

I looked up the TSP oil pump, is this what you got?

Texas Speed Ported LS6 Oil Pump w/ O-Ring

Does your wastegate dump into the downpipe? does it make any excessive noise when dumped or I would imagine it would be pretty quiet if it goes into the down pipe.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

what about swapping the timing chain to replace the factory one?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

What head studs did you get? I see there are all short or long and short / 12pt or hex head?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by YAMAHAGUY
Triple 12 - Nick name of a cam from stock48, meaning a stock 4.8 motor? What is the advantage of that? What if I had a 4.8 instead of the 5.3 and should the 4.8 cam be left alone? I am just trying to find the perfect truck and a lot of 4.8s are coming up and after reading about them they are equally as desirable to me.

I looked up the TSP oil pump, is this what you got?

Texas Speed Ported LS6 Oil Pump w/ O-Ring

Does your wastegate dump into the downpipe? does it make any excessive noise when dumped or I would imagine it would be pretty quiet if it goes into the down pipe.
Stock48 is the screen name of a member on the board. He sales Isky cams and the "The triple 12" is one of his custom grinds that you can only get from him. Isky won't sell it directly to you.

Dumping the wg to NA is quite loud. Back into the down pipe is much quieter.

Btw, running the higher mileage stock motor like suggested with only a few miner mods is a well proven, reliable setup with proper tuning.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

I don't want it quiet, that for sure. So Ill look into dumping it somewhere else.

There seems to be a lot of questions about cams. Maybe thats a better question for the specific kit or how I would like a specific drivability, torque converter, rear gearing.

I've got to read a lot about all this cam stuff to figure whats best for me.

I'm thinking 3.73 gears and a 2800-3000 converter, not sure what that means but seems to be somewhat consistent for DD. I don't want it too laggy, but I really don't mind the lag, as I want it to give my passengers a little whiplash all at once and make them wait for it a little.

Ive read a lot of conflicting info about the TSP polished oil pumps and that they aren't that good or not necessary.

If I'm going to be replacing stuff I might as well replace the timing chain as well with a better one, just gotta figure what that is.

Quick Reply: 5.3 recipe in prep for future boosted DD