INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

09 5.3l cam swap, afm & vvt delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 5.3l cam swap, afm & vvt delete

Hey guys
So after having an AFM lifter fail on me i have decided to rebuild with an AFM delete, VVT delete a cam swap and some long tube headers.

The cam I am thinking on going with is the TSP 220R .600"/.600" 112 LSA, along with beehive springs, hardened pushrods, and upgraded trunions.
Wanted your guys' input as well if that grind will be a good upgrade for my application? 4.56 gears, 275/70-18 tires will occasionally haul a polaris ranger on a small aluminum trailer but thats only during the winter. Going to stick with the stock stall for now.

Main reason for starting this thread is to get a build log going, because if time and space allows i will be doing this myself.

Your guys' input is well needed! lol thanks
Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

So after doing some more looking i am coming across LY6 engines for under 2k. One i found with 56,000 miles for $1850. i might go that route and do a cam, springs, rods and trunion swap along with headers.

Do you guys prefer this over doing what i planned to my 5.3l?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I mean if money is no problem, then do what you want.

But I think it's easier to just cam your motor and run it. It'll make good power and do what you want it to do that's for sure.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The 6.0 is definitely going to make more power over the 5.3 but you may want to reconsider deleting the vvt in the rectangular port headed 6.0....or use the 243 or 799 heads your 5.3 probably already has on it.... I personally like the rectangular port heads but as far as low end torque and deleting vvt youre better off with the cathedral port heads....other option if youre sticking with the rectangular port heads is a cam speced for an ls3 or a vvt cam..... I am debating on running an ls3 cam or adding vvt to my l96 when i swap it into my yukon....

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 04-24-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

If youre gonna delete the vvt, i may know someone that will by they actuator and front cover from you.... Possibly!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
The 6.0 is definitely going to make more power over the 5.3 but you may want to reconsider deleting the vvt in the rectangular port headed 6.0....or use the 243 or 799 heads your 5.3 probably already has on it.... I personally like the rectangular port heads but as far as low end torque and deleting vvt youre better off with the rectangular port heads....other option if youre sticking with the rectangular port heads is a cam speced for an ls3 or a vvt cam..... I am debating on running an ls3 cam or adding vvt to my l96 when i swap it into my yukon....
After seeing shipping costs I am going to stick with my 5.3l lol. My engine has 243's on it right now. Now I'm a little confused, my 243 heads are cathedral port correct? Sorry if k didnt read that right. it's 1 a.m. here so my mind's a little tired lol

Either way I figured it was easier to just delete vvt, maybe that's not true? I haven't looked super hard for a single bolt cam beings I have had the vvt delete in my head right away but are they a little more expensive? I havnt come across one. Will do some looking now.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes 243s are cathedral... Every major cam company has a vvt cam of some sort..... They dont have the lift a non vvt cam does but there are plenty of trucks and cars running vvt cams and making power a plenty!!! Saw somewhere an l99 camaro was making something like 300-350ft lbs tq at around 3000rpm... Dont remember what it peaked at, but was NA with tune, headers and cai being only real mods done to it!!! Enough to make me consider running on in my yukon!!! Are you sure you have vvt thought it was 2010 they started running it in the 5.3s...
Old 04-24-2016, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I fixed my goof in the previous post....
Old 04-24-2016, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Yes 243s are cathedral... Every major cam company has a vvt cam of some sort..... They dont have the lift a non vvt cam does but there are plenty of trucks and cars running vvt cams and making power a plenty!!! Saw somewhere an l99 camaro was making something like 300-350ft lbs tq at around 3000rpm... Dont remember what it peaked at, but was NA with tune, headers and cai being only real mods done to it!!! Enough to make me consider running on in my yukon!!! Are you sure you have vvt thought it was 2010 they started running it in the 5.3s...
I will check tomorrow for sure if I do have vvt or not. I have just been assuming it does.... I will definitely think about keeping it if I do. I heard it's a bit tougher to tune w/ vvt if I decide to put a supercharger in it. Is this true?

This is another dumb question but I have to ask, if I end up not having vvt that will mean I have a 3 bolt cam right? I wasn't sure of they used the single bolt cam purely for vvt purposes.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

No it will still be a single bolt and the second cam journal will be split has something to do with oiling for dod and vvt....look behind water pump if you see a hump in the middle of the timing cover with a small black connector kinda behind the passenger side center of the wp its vvt.... Do yourself a favor when you swap the can and check you cam bearings really well, i just rebuilt a 2011 lc9 that had cam bearings worn to bronze with less than70k on it

Quick Reply: 09 5.3l cam swap, afm & vvt delete