Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

supercharging brand new truck.....warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

About only way to get gm to warranty it is if in fact the failure was not caused by the part being installed, and as stated gm sees any aftermarket non gm calibration as reason to void the warranty, gm has branded vehicles for speedometer calibrations.... if you want a blower on it and to keep any sort of warranty intact, you are more than likely going to have to have bought the blower and have it installed by a dealer with the gmpp calibration for the part... and thats not guaranteeing that when it comes down to it gm is going to honor anything!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All this talk of GM not backing their products is really discouraging. I was considering a new truck until a joined this forum and learned of all the issues people have with BRAND NEW trucks. Now I'm hanging on to my gmt900.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, just venting here.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I currently work at a dealership and wouldnt buy anything newer than a 2013.... not saying gm doesnt take care of most of their stuff, but sometimes its a pain to get taken care of!!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mconcha
All this talk of GM not backing their products is really discouraging. I was considering a new truck until a joined this forum and learned of all the issues people have with BRAND NEW trucks. Now I'm hanging on to my gmt900.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, just venting here.
Personally I think GM has gotten really lazy and rely on us workingmen tinker type guys to find the problems and fixes that they think really doesn't matter to the end user. It's a damn shame it has gotten to this point as far as modding a vehicle , but some of the blame has to be put on the end user modding the vehicle and destroying parts and expecting GM to foot the bill. I see both sides of the coin and understand whats at stake for both of us.

RT
Old 10-23-2016, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I consider myself to be pretty reasonable as far as modding and what should/shouldn't be covered, but when the clueless service manager tells me I'll void my warranty for changing my own oil, they have to do it, wtf? When I bought my '15 they didn't bother with their warranty spiel because they told me I was going to void the warranty anyways. I never said anything about modifying the truck, nor would i, not even sure where they got that from, except my '12 was lowered 5/8 and had been to the dealership (different dealership) and they probably noted it...excuse me while I take my tinfoil hat off.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rolled the dice on my truck and it looks like I may lose. My 8L90 is developing very bad TC shuttering. At speeds from 30-70mph. You can see the tach fluttering with each shutter and at low rpms, less than 1500rpms, it really shakes the truck. I'm going to try to get the dealership to warranty it, but I'm not expecting much. Looks like I should have waited longer to void my warranty
Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

If you have a blower yeah you are screwed...... unless you want to revert the truck to stock. Mine is technically void if they looked as I have tuned my truck multiple times and with a Global A I am sure they can see that if they look. The only saving grace is I always pull all my stuff off except my catback and what I am having done is actually all TSB's...... so I don't think GM requires the screenshot of the tune for it. Maybe they do and it's all BS and they can't see a thing haha.

For a T/C shudder though that again is another TSB from GM..... so really it's not your fault which is the worst part of that.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 10-25-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

The screenshot is of ecm calibrations, and yes they can see it....
Old 10-25-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
The screenshot is of ecm calibrations, and yes they can see it....
Yeah well like I said...... they aren't checking mine doing TSB's as it's been tuned multiple times with HP.......So take that with your dot dot dot...... lol. So if you have a stockish truck and take it in for common problems (aka 8 speed) they don't give a damn. I have no affiliation with the dealer I go to, nor have I ever even bought anything from them beyond some parts. They are way overpriced for vehicles so I don't buy trucks or cars from them lol.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PSM
I rolled the dice on my truck and it looks like I may lose. My 8L90 is developing very bad TC shuttering. At speeds from 30-70mph. You can see the tach fluttering with each shutter and at low rpms, less than 1500rpms, it really shakes the truck. I'm going to try to get the dealership to warranty it, but I'm not expecting much. Looks like I should have waited longer to void my warranty
was there any sign of the shutter before hawk tuned it?