Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

supercharging brand new truck.....warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharging brand new truck.....warranty?

Well im considering getting a 2016-2017 silverado, but i'm use to my old supercharged truck and the new camaro i traded it in on. I love the way they look but i will simply not be happy with a stock 5.3, but i'm not going to dare risk blowing up the engine on a brand new truck and not have a warranty to fall back on.

I've seen that edelbrock offers powertrain warranty extensions, i believe Whipple use to at one time. anyone else know of any routes to take?
Old 10-22-2016, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends where you live but some dealers will install them with warranty now.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If your asking about a warranty when supercharging your truck you probably shouldn't install one!

RT
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E-Force, Magnuson offer warranties, pretty sure you have to try and go through manufacturers warranty process first if/when time comes, then they will step in. All of that plus the extra cost for the install not worth it to me.

They have to be installed by an "authorized shop" in order to get the warranty though; which in my eyes isn't worth it.

Talked to someone last weekend and his shop quoted $11k OTD for a Whipple installed. Eff that!! That's $4500 for install. I'll take that and put it towards the "broke my truck" fund.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Softail
If your asking about a warranty when supercharging your truck you probably shouldn't install one!

That. Being you live in the US you may be able to actually get warranty out of one of those extensions from the supercharger company.... but then you have to fight with them and wait for them to pay GM or whoever and whatever else. I would have a blower or something done to mine but it's lived in the shop with it's shitty 8 speed for far too much for me to want to pay out of pocket for. Maybe if they make a decent shifting trans.... which I doubt they ever will I may consider it. But I am not paying for GM's **** ups because I want more power..... With a 5.3 and a 6 speed..... you might be okay lol.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 10-22-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I probably should've bought the Whipple powertrain warranty but I chose not to. I got it 10% off retail and installed it myself with their handheld tune so I wouldn't have any issues. I am not one bit sorry that I installed this blower as it made my truck exactly what I bought it for...a 4wd stoplight sleeper! Looks and idles stock then, its bye bye lol. However when my fuel pump and module went out my dealer said as soon as they plug in to the port to diagnose it GM would void the entire truck even paint and interior. I paid out of pocket to keep the other unrelated warranties intact. I knew my powertrain was voided when I purchased the blower. Depends on your goals. Enter at your own risk and good luck with your decision but for me? I'd do it over again times 10!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Exactly.... I just went through my 6l80 and installed all of the Sonnax transmission upgrades because GM said my shift flares were normal which is (Bullshit) So knowing I would install a power adder at some point I know now it will handle the abuse i will throw at it. I say **** a warranty for the fact GM won't do **** anyway.... case in point my driveshaft and trans was fixed on my dime even when the dumb *** dealer said nothing was wrong with it. So do what you will but i'm in it for having fun now cause tomorrow is not promised to you. Whoo Hoo!

RT

Last edited by 07Softail; 10-22-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Exactly.... I just went through my 6l80 and installed all of the Sonnax transmission upgrades because GM said my shift flares were normal which is (Bullshit) So knowing I would install a power adder at some point I know now it will handle the abuse i will throw at it. I say **** a warranty for the fact GM won't do **** anyway.... case in point my driveshaft and trans was fixed on my dime even when the dumb *** dealer said nothing was wrong with it. So do what you will but i'm in it for having fun now cause tomorrow is not promised to you. Whoo Hoo!

RT
Like the way you think!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I say **** a warranty for the fact GM won't do **** anyway... So do what you will but i'm in it for having fun now cause tomorrow is not promised to you. Whoo Hoo!

RT

From my experiences, GM is more interested in voiding your warranty or telling you "oh, that's normal." Best chance of keeping any sort of warranty is letting them install the aftermarket parts ($$$) and I wouldn't trust them to keep their word and honor the warranty if **** hits the fan.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:53 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

The warranties offered by the blower companies are usually by a third party company.

They're quick to offer it and probably get a small kick back for selling the policy. As soon as you have a problem though, they will point you to the other company and say good luck.

If the kit is not installed to a T or you have modified it in any way, they will likely say sorry we only warranty it as it was sold. This includes modifying the Supercharges generic canned tune.