Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Rear diff problems

Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear diff problems

Has anybody had any rear diff problems? I am having an issue and not sure what do to now. Ill try and keep this short. Truck is lowered, pinion angle is good. I've been having a shake since new and chalked it up to an out of round stock tire. after lowering and putting on 22's with toyo tires i was blaming those for feeling every bump in the road. (they were extremely hard tire) So anyway after some google research i learned about some trucks having a bad shake/vibration.(my fault for not researching these trucks before buying) Changed tires to nittos looking for better ride. they balanced good, road forced very low and sill shaking. Me and a buddy put the rear end on jack stands and put the truck in gear and holy hell the tire is wobbling. At this point i'm hoping it was just a bad axle. wrong still have an issue after replacing it. We messed with it again today and the rear sounds like ****. It has a howl and slight growling sound when you get on and off the gas. So my question is wtf do i do? not gonna even bother with the dealer they are a joke here. I like the truck but ready to torch it.

any help appreciated
Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Find another dealership then?

If still under a warranty I wouldnt want to pay out of pocket for anything.

I don't know what else to say here.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

im considering that, but not sure if will do any good being i have a flip kit and traction bars.assuming that they will even mess with it and not say its something ive done. I hate to say i'm assuming, but i guess i am
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

I would be willing to have my buddy rebuild it but he is leery about the housing; being so many people are having problems and no direct fix. I have read many many pages about the shake on another forum. Some have been fixed with a drive shaft or new ring and pinon and some get a whole new rear diff. hell at this point a got torque diff sounds good
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since its modded they can blame you ...gonna have to suck it up
Old 08-24-2015, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

yeah that is pretty much what i expect. i guess that's the crossroad i at. rebuild this one or get a new housing to rule out something possibly being off in this one
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts are limited at moment...might be in for a assreaming
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I can say for sure that when we replaced the driver side axle last week. it did fix part of the problem. I dont think i saved the video i made the flange. it was not "true" and had a bump to it when spinning. I guess overall im just pissed and tired of messing with it. I wanted to be moving on towards fun parts since cosmetics were pretty much donem but idk what i expect this is my kind of luck
Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the "unbalanced" driveshaft vibration. I'm going to bring it to get rebalanced and hopefully that's the problem. The dealer out here is terrible and a crook and I'd rather pay an honest shop to balance it.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post what you guys find, I have same issue, only I noticed mine after the flip kit, my pinion also correct.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear diff problems