Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Best deal on a truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read/heard - it's as you start to get over the 80k mark.

My friend gets a company truck. They buy hundreds of Silverados a year for fleet vehicles and they issued a memo to their employees that as you start to approach 80k miles to have more frequent oil changes (or keep an eye on your oil level) as the engines start using up to 1 quart during oil changes.

Now, I have no idea if that is no longer a problem with the newer engines - exactly the reason I leased this time. But next time, I plan to buy.

A diesel would be nice, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money for what I typically use the truck for (at least right now).

I'll look into that Laura GMC - I'd be very curious how much cheaper it really is, when I figure I have to fly down from Cleveland, drive it back. Especially with my GM employee discount. Plus the trucks are built only a few hours from me, which then get shipped to Laura GMC, and I have to drive it back home....seems like a lot of work. How much cheaper can they be?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
From what I've read/heard - it's as you start to get over the 80k mark.

My friend gets a company truck. They buy hundreds of Silverados a year for fleet vehicles and they issued a memo to their employees that as you start to approach 80k miles to have more frequent oil changes (or keep an eye on your oil level) as the engines start using up to 1 quart during oil changes.

Now, I have no idea if that is no longer a problem with the newer engines - exactly the reason I leased this time. But next time, I plan to buy.

A diesel would be nice, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money for what I typically use the truck for (at least right now).

I'll look into that Laura GMC - I'd be very curious how much cheaper it really is, when I figure I have to fly down from Cleveland, drive it back. Especially with my GM employee discount. Plus the trucks are built only a few hours from me, which then get shipped to Laura GMC, and I have to drive it back home....seems like a lot of work. How much cheaper can they be?
absolutely cheapest I can get around the philadelphia region is about $4k more expensive then laura. Figure $300 for the flight. That's $3700 savings to waste a day flying and driving. You'd need to make a lot of money for that not to be a good use of time.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Good to know. I still have about 2 years with my current lease, but I'm starting to stash away some money to have a lower payment when I go to buy my next truck.

I don't know that there is a huge compelling reason for me to get a diesel, if I'm mostly just driving around and not really pulling a ton of weight. I've got a couple of tractors but my 1500 could handle it if I had to...but they pretty much stay on my property.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

i.e. would I be glad I spent the extra ($10k?) for the diesel in the long run? Assuming mostly just driving around etc.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Good to know. I still have about 2 years with my current lease, but I'm starting to stash away some money to have a lower payment when I go to buy my next truck.

I don't know that there is a huge compelling reason for me to get a diesel, if I'm mostly just driving around and not really pulling a ton of weight. I've got a couple of tractors but my 1500 could handle it if I had to...but they pretty much stay on my property.
slower, heavier, worse fuel efficiency, more expensive

Imo duramax is only wise if you plan on using it for its intended purpose. You need to tow a lot for them to be a wise investment. Without doing any calculations, wouldn't be surprised if the break even in fuel is with 70-100k miles of towing a medium sized trailer.

The 1500 motors are too good these days to choose a duramax as a DD without much towing.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:35 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't relate to paying sales tax since I'm in Oregon, but I paid 35k for my z71 with a 45k msrp.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
But everyone pays tax, that was more my point.

Sure the truck comes with $11,000 off MSRP after all is said and done to bring the truck down a good chunk but then you have to pay the tax and fee's on it. Depending state vehicle tax that could add another $2500-4,000 give or take.
Not everyone pays tax

not that are state is great 5 lib countys controls the rest of the big bare land state
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I know when my one employee bought his 14 5.3 used with around 23000 miles on it the truck initially was eating oil fairly quickly. I would say every 2000 miles was a quart. He swapped it to 5w30 like I did with my 15 6.2 and the consumption has stopped... So what the issue was with the 0w20 in it we do not know. A friend of mine works at a gm dealer as a tech... he gets quite a few of these gen v's with either failed afm lifters or the oil pump gears crack and or shatter. It's no different than anything else and you stand a better chance of a good one over a bad one.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Ended up going to Laura Buick GMC and picked up an Acadia for the wife...they were running a great deal. About 8 hours each way for me.

Still looking ahead on the trucks. Not sure that they will be as competitive with the trucks, since trucks are still selling hot - rebates aren't as good.

Decided to stick with gas, unless I can find a newer, used diesel. I'd really like to have an 8 foot bed, and I can't have a regular cab, which kicks me to the 2500. Keep an eye on Laura or should I look somewhere else if I want a Chevy instead of a GMC?