Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cammed06
Yes, dod delete.
Can't wait to see results
Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what valley cover are you going to be using to delete the DOD?

also, what valve springs, etc are you going to be using?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
what valley cover are you going to be using to delete the DOD?

also, what valve springs, etc are you going to be using?
Not sure, have no clue. Im not the one doing the research. I know nothing about these new DI engines. With my L76, I used an ls2 valley cover and timing chain, along with ls7 lifters, buckets and I can't exactly remember which springs...Comp 918's or Patriot Dual Gold... It was only a 224/228 high 500's lift on a 114, I'm not 100%. My first ever cammed car was an '06 gto, the old hpe did a cam swap and long tubes. The good 'ole S cam.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gypsy06vortecmax
Are you deleting dod/afm? I'm not I'm just gonna try comps 218/228 afm low lift cam...
Comp and tsp says stock springs and push rods are fine just throw it in
I'm no expert, if they say so, then so-be-it. I'd be a little concerned about the dod lifters... I remember hearing a lot about lifter failure, back when I had my g8, so I went dod delete cam to avoid those issues, plus the plastic timing chain tesioner was weak in the l76, so did an ls2 timing chain and tensioner as well. Not real sure about the newer setups yet. Heck, they could've fixed all that by now.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cammed06
I'm no expert, if they say so, then so-be-it. I'd be a little concerned about the dod lifters... I remember hearing a lot about lifter failure, back when I had my g8, so I went dod delete cam to avoid those issues, plus the plastic timing chain tesioner was weak in the l76, so did an ls2 timing chain and tensioner as well. Not real sure about the newer setups yet. Heck, they could've fixed all that by now.
That's what I was worried about to but that's what they say ill be fine the cam was designed for vvt afm DI so hopefully it works with the lifters and stock springs.... Tsp said ill be fine so ill give it a try
Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

stock springs on anything other than a stock cam is STUPID... why spend the money to have a cam swap done and be cheap and leave stock springs in there? makes absolutely no sense. you're just asking for a failure.

I've heard that the DOD lifters in these new engines are "stronger" than the DOD lifters in the previous generation of engines, but who knows how much and what they'll handle.

I'll end up deleting it also when I do a cam, which I kinda hate since with DOD I am getting some pretty killer fuel mileage.

The LS7 lifters will work in this new engine, however that's about it. Springs, Pushrods, lifter "cups" all that is different
Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

^^^ +1 on the stock spring advice.

Don't get dod and VVT mixed up. Dod delete, but it keeps VVT which is the whole cam phaser deal. So the route I'm planning on going is dod delete, keeping VVT if that's how you want to put it.

As far as utilizing stock push rods (they'd be completely wrong obviously), springs, etc. vs. ls7/others, I still have no ideas what will work on these new DI 5.3 setups. I have always in the past spent the money to upgrade those components, to try and avoid stock parts failure. The valley cover, my thoughts, has to be different than most lsx dod's because of the DI setup. Not sure how that all looks in there. Who knows...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

LMR in Houston has the answers to all of those issues. I talked to TSP and they haven't gotten all that figured out yet.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Steven was at HPE with Chuck back in the day. I met and became acquainted when they did my '06 gto. Dan actually did the work. Chuck is a friend, but other than a few conversations with Steven ordering parts and whatnot, kinda lost touch. It's been a long time actually. I'm originally from Houston... Moved here to fl in '95

Quick Reply: Anyone running a converter yet?