Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

2014 5.3 FI questions

Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
I've never heard that 20hp per # of boost... I'd be willing to debate that
Seriously??? You've never heard that? Then CLEARLY it can't be true, and your knowledge to debate something that you've never heard of will be based on.......what exactly? It's entertaining when someone questions what someone else has to say, solely because they've never heard it.

I said "should", because 20rwhp per pound of boost is a good rule of thumb. Don't take my word for it. Just look at other forums and people's results, friend. You will read that you may gain less at lower psi and for things like turbos and centrifugal blowers can gain more at higher levels, like upper teens per lb down low, maybe mid 20's per lb when you get to 14 psi and up. So, "I'd be willing to debate that "? I speak from experience with my own past ls cars, and within the social network of fellow lsx guys, tuner friends, etc.

There are already some of our trucks doing it...

Lets see...

Stock they are making low 300's rwhp.

6lbs of boost from a turbo........420's to 430's rwhp...

Even Lingenfelter made a 96rwhp improvement with only a tvs1900 and tune (which I'm sure is a nannies and babies tune for the warranty) on 7psi, so 40 more rwhp with a less conservative tune and a set of long tubes (which give you much more to work with when tuning) could EASILY give you the 20rwhp per pound of boost.

Last edited by cammed06; 04-17-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said you'd gain 20hp per pound of boost with LTs... That's 200 hp at 10#, show me proof and I'll buy in, until then it's just wishful thinking.

You're saying if I had a blower on my truck with stock exhaust making 400 at 10#, I could bolt on a set of LTs and instantly make 600... That's absurd lol
Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
You said you'd gain 20hp per pound of boost with LTs... That's 200 hp at 10#, show me proof and I'll buy in, until then it's just wishful thinking.

You're saying if I had a blower on my truck with stock exhaust making 400 at 10#, I could bolt on a set of LTs and instantly make 600... That's absurd lol
No, that's not what I'm saying, friend. If you're only making 400 at 10#...you need to fire your tuner, cause he sucks, or you're what he'd probably refer to as being "tuned safe, not on the ragged edge"...

I was simply explaining the benefits of lt's with the power adder, should yield 20rwhp per # of boost, meaning a set of lt's let it breathe much better. I actually posted that right after your mention of lt's friend, and was giving him a rule of thumb to follow.

I'm saying that forced induction on your car WITH A SET OF LT's should yield you 20rwhp per # of boost. Yes, a blower, on a lsx, with lt's at 10psi will yield you 200rwhp gain over stock. Been there, done that, 2006 gto, procharger, ar lt's 557rwhp, it made 350something stock... With a non-FI hpe s-cam made 651... There you go friend.

Last edited by cammed06; 04-17-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cammed06
No, that's not what I'm saying, friend.

I'm saying that forced induction on your car WITH A SET OF LT's should yield you 20rwhp per # of boost. Yes, a blower, on a lsx, with lt's at 10psi will yield you 200rwhp gain over stock. Been there, done that, 2006 gto, procharger, ar lt's 557rwhp, it made 350something stock... With a non-FI hpe s-cam made 651... There you go friend.
Well, FWIW I read your first post the same way that Noah did. Thanks for making it a lot more clear what you meant.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 400@10# is just to make it easy. I'm not boosted at all so I literally don't give a ****. HOWEVER, adding LTs to a boosted engine and gain 20hp per psi is what you posted. And that is just not a fact. If you didn't post what you were thinking that's not my problem, but that's what you posted... friend

if you're going with the engine in general should make 20hp per pound of boost that's incredibly low... 20hp per # of boost at 15# (more than I'd bet well over 50% of truck boosters run) would only be 300hp... if 15# of boost only nets 300hp, that would mean.... your "theory" is idiotic...

Last edited by Noah Burns; 04-18-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Going with the op, on a stock ls engine, adding a whipple, he will most likely run 6 to say 10psi. In reference to adding lt's to make it breathe better, the 6-10psi should yield around 20rwhp per psi of boost. That has been my experience, as well as other lsx's. Obviously, with other changes, and higher boost levels could alter that 20rwhp per pound of boost. I gained 30+ rwhp per pound of boost with a cam and more fuel. As for the average gains, on a stock lsx with forced induction with long tubes, 20rwhp per pound of boost is like I said, a "Good rule of thumb" and I stand by that.

Lingenfelter only made 96rwhp with 7lbs, but no addition of headers and a conservative tune, and offer a warranty. Long tubes and a better tune to get 140rwhp total for the blower, longtubes and tune at 7lbs, is clearly 20rwhp per pound of boost. I only use this example cause it's as advertised by Lingenfelter, so you don't have to take my "Idiotic" word.

The amount of rwhp per pound of boost will obviously vary on many many different engines, imports, domestics, compression, cams, heads, mods, etc. But speaking of the op's thoughts and stock lsx engines my theory is accurate.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion because cammed06 was misunderstood... I believe he means that a supercharger plus long tubes should yield 20hp per # of boost altogether not the long tubes alone after the gains from the supercharger with a proper tune.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

F that 5.3s. Let's see some turbo and blown 6.2s.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can they still run e85 on stock fuel setup and blower?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cammed06
No, that's not what I'm saying, friend. If you're only making 400 at 10#...you need to fire your tuner, cause he sucks, or you're what he'd probably refer to as being "tuned safe, not on the ragged edge"...

I was simply explaining the benefits of lt's with the power adder, should yield 20rwhp per # of boost, meaning a set of lt's let it breathe much better. I actually posted that right after your mention of lt's friend, and was giving him a rule of thumb to follow.

Dude you're dreaming, I make 15rwhp per psi on a super highly modified 427 motor with MAST 305 heads, 2" headers, dual 3" exhaust, xpipe no cat IF im lucky, there is no way you would even make 10rwhp per psi on a stock 5.3 regardless of what anyone tells you.

Turbos are a different animal than superchargers, turbine housing is what will decide how much power you make per psi but it comes with a trade off as well. You also have to consider that going turbo means you automatically get a cold air intake, and exhaust mods and a tune.

If you believe that Whipple gains 200rwhp from 8psi I have bad news for you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 5.3 FI questions