Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

who here has done FULL 4L80E swap with 4L80E tune and wiring changes on 2009 Silvi???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default who here has done FULL 4L80E swap with 4L80E tune and wiring changes on 2009 Silvi???

RESOLVED! ... I've added pics of the adapter harness and the wiring required to convert the 2009+ trucks over to run a true 4L80E tune!

Need feedback on someone who's done this exact swap. No Frost Harness, No running on 4L60E tune/etc. ... needs to be a 2009 Silverado with a 4L80E swap that is running a 4L80E tune with a few wiring changes.

Background ... never been able to fix all the little gremlins about with this setup. Frost Harness didn't work, had to pin in the PRDNL switch and ISS to the factory harness (2009 had it all these internal to 4L60E) so the tune works kind of different too. I'd be able to drive normal for a bit and then I'd feel Lockup not working and shifts firming up. Reset codes and it'll return to normal. All codes were turned off and gear ratios set per instructions. None work.

Found a 2009 G3500 tune and used it and make the required changes to the harness by adding the TFP A,B,C switches/etc. and moving the ISS sensor LOW from 45 to 26 in the T42 Connector. Everything seems to work but I feel it's taking off in 2nd and I only feel the 2-3 shift ... then I never get the 4th gear (scanner doesn't show a request either) I'm hoping I accidentally swapped the TFP wires or I burned up the Sol A ... which would explain why the 1st gear request (on/off) is on but takes off in 2nd (off/off)

I've seen the sloppy wiki page where they did it on a Trailblazer (but didn't say the year), which is what I followed at first, but that didn't work without the TFP A,B,C switch wires being run (4L60E doesn't have them).

I'm almost ready to toss the 4L80E out and put a 4L60E back in

UPDATE!!! 1/17/2017

Okay I've figured everything out! I think...

Here's the background, never ran right from the start and using two software packages to be able to tune it wasn't something I wanted to do...
Here's me trying stuff out by relieving the Frost harness of its TCC relay and looking for other answers...
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...-T42-swap-with

Then, after running around a bit and still having issues of trans codes in the background causing TCC and shift firmness issues (default/limp mode) ... I decided to go with a full 4L80E tune and the necessary wiring changes to make it work.
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...oaded-is-4L80E

First, I used my hookups at a shop to get the proper pinouts for the 2009 Silverado (my truck) and the 2009 G3500 Van (the tune I'm using) directly from the GM service website (didn't wanna chance getting bad pinouts from the interwebs) ... all these are on the EFILive thread for anyone needing them in the future. I'd rather keep them in one location. This thread update is for closure to this thread.

Then it was a matter of making sure the correct signals were sent between the TCM and the 4L80E ... cliff notes!!!

1. 2009 does not have an external PRNDL switch; everything is internal to the trans. I've added this to the adapter harness (Formally known as the Frost harness, that is stripped of all relays and resisters and only used as a means to connect the additional ISS and PRDNL harnesses to the vehicle).

2. Added the ISS sensor to the adapter harness and moved pin 45 to pin 26 on the TCM. This is the Low reference of the ISS.

3. After adding the external PRNDL harness and the ISS, the T42 TCM also required the 3 Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switches wires in. the stock/4L60E harness does not have it (although the Frost harness came with them run between the ends) so I ran 3 wires from the trans connector to the TCM pins 24 (TFP A), 33 (TFP C), 44 (TFP B). There was an issue where the 4L60E had a unused ground where TFP A was (Pin N) and I didn't notice this as the Frost harness had the TFP signals at N, P and R. Nothing seemed to work. felt really stupid when I saw the mistake. Moved the wires on the adapter to P, R and S on the body side to match the wires I ran to the TCM and it was all good to go! I've attached a pic of what was done to adapt the factory pinout to the 4L80E pinout and other inputs.

4. Loaded tune and we were good!!! Tune had the same Operating system as my original TCM/4L60E tune and therefore worked seamlessly with the ECM.
Attached Thumbnails who here has done FULL 4L80E swap with 4L80E tune and wiring changes on 2009 Silvi???-20170111_122134.jpg   who here has done FULL 4L80E swap with 4L80E tune and wiring changes on 2009 Silvi???-2009-silverado-4l80e-adapter-harness.jpg  

Last edited by Mean Green z28; 01-17-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been a while but I followed the redheartbeat thread on NNBS 80e swaps. In my opinion the wiring wasn't too bad. Are you sure the trans is good to go?
Old 01-14-2017, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Yup. I've driven it around with the Frost harness and 4L60E tune for a while but always had issues with tune throwing codes and efilive doesn't have access to turn them off and has stopped support for the T42 controller. Trans was also rebuilt less than 250 miles ago hence the need to do it correctly with a 4L80E tune
Old 01-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you did fry it using the frost harness? I have hptuners but never felt like I got it right.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me a combination of EFILive and hp tuners to get the frost harness to work on my t42 60e program. Lots of trial and error to pin down the full pressure issues I was experiencing.
First step in right direction is dropping frost wired relay harness.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwatts11
It's been a while but I followed the redheartbeat thread on NNBS 80e swaps. In my opinion the wiring wasn't too bad. Are you sure the trans is good to go?
2nd this on redheartbeat NNBS 80e swap. I did use the Speartech 60e to 80e harness. Tuner used I believe the express van tune to control the 80e. Not a hint of trouble.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

UPDATE!

See first post!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LongBlue
2nd this on redheartbeat NNBS 80e swap. I did use the Speartech 60e to 80e harness. Tuner used I believe the express van tune to control the 80e. Not a hint of trouble.
I looked at his thread too and these all seem to be early trucks that had external PRNDL switch as there's no mention of it .. actually some threads just say plug the PRNDL switch to the new trans in and add ISS, move wire and bam! Not in this case!

I'm actually surprised nobody has really had this issue or tried all this on a 2009 and newer truck ... either that or they didn't really share their experiences like I did. Frost did mention that he has redesigned his harness or is collaborating with another shop using some sort of black box convertor ... didn't wanna put money in to get the same results

There's a guy on the FB page who put a 2012 engine and 4L60E in a 2009 with a 2008.5 harness ... he's in a pickle with everything working against him in a mismatch of parts and controls. I'm trying to help him through my experience

Originally Posted by shupe
Took me a combination of EFILive and hp tuners to get the frost harness to work on my t42 60e program. Lots of trial and error to pin down the full pressure issues I was experiencing.
First step in right direction is dropping frost wired relay harness.
yup! Glad I did it and stuck with it!

Originally Posted by alex226
So you did fry it using the frost harness? I have hptuners but never felt like I got it right.
Well I did have issues in day to day driving. All I have access to is EFILIVE and have turned everything off that I have access to. Taking off at a steady but quick pace through the gears always gave me a flashing engine light and disabled tcc and max line pressure. I had to reset codes and it'll return to normal. If I drive like a granny, it would work fine until I get on highway and then eventually cause the same issues. Sometimes with the flashing light, sometimes I'd just feel the tcc never lockup.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow. Great job man
Old 01-19-2017, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Well after a lot of running around trying to figure out if the tune was causing issues, it turned out that the Torque converter was fried (again) so we swapped the stock one back in and all is well and behaving. Trans shifts through gears and locks up etc. as expected!