Click here to visit LS1Tech
Click here to visit Performance Trucks
Click here to visit Mod Motor Tech
Click here to visit Modern Hemi

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums  

Go Back   PerformanceTrucks.net Forums > GENERAL MOTORS SPECIFIC FORUMS > GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Performance Trucks!
Welcome to Performance Trucks,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Trader Rating: 1
Teching In

Default Turning off the DOD

I recently purchased a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 DOD. I am getting the truck tuned and wanted to get the DOD option turn off. I have been doing some research and learned about all the problems with the afm lifters failing and over active lifters. My question is if I have the DOD turned off in the tune and do nothing else internally to the engine will I run into mechanical problems in the future? I know GM will be able to tell that my PCM was flashed whether I turn the tuning to stock or not, but my good friend is a GM mechanic so that is not a issue. I reallly don't want to do the DOD replacement kit, for this truck is brand new and there is only so much my friend can overlook I don't want to void the warranty. Any info you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]LS1 6 speed conversion ,Patriot LS6 heads, Comp Torquer II cam, LS6 intake, Kooks L/T Headers,Magnaflo catback,Hotchkis: 1.5 lowering springs,front/rear swaybars,Lower control arms,KYB shocks and struts,4:10 gears,more to come
jstero99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
Trader Rating: 0
TECH Apprentice

Mine is disabled via tune and it still runs like a champ, I'm doing a cam swap soon, hopefully gonna delete it mechanically for good. *barf*
| Circle D Multidisk 258mm 3600 | MCG 2" spindles, Beltech 2" struts, 6" flip |
| Hydroboost |
Foxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Trader Rating: 14
TECH Addict

I don't see why you would disable it if you are leaving everything else stock... The lifters are still gonna be in there whether they are being used or not. Might as well take advantage of them.
Coban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Trader Rating: 0
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coban View Post
I don't see why you would disable it if you are leaving everything else stock... The lifters are still gonna be in there whether they are being used or not. Might as well take advantage of them.
HUH NO! its annyoing *** hell.. i understand where he is coming from. the whole point is for it not to switch from 8 to 4.. i wish they made the 5.3 without dod.. im tuning mine out also.. i want 8 all the time. all i been getting is 15mpgs. all day long..

back in a silverado
2013 silverado crew cab, LTZ. sunroof, touch screen.. etc... ruby red. 5.3/ 6 speed..

2011 camaro 2ss/a6. L99, convert.. stock for now!!! BLACK ON BLACK..
JAVI05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Trader Rating: 15
14 Second Truck Club

Just tune it out, no worries.

I've made over 100 passes down the 1/4 mile spinning the motor to 5800-5900ish with everything in the engine stock and have had no issues.

"Your pull your truck to the track on a trailer, I race you with a truck that pulled a trailer to the track."
double047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Trader Rating: 2
Launching!

Send a message via Yahoo to j_ahlheim

mines been tuned out for over a year no issues and I drive like I stole it.

"If you wont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

2009 Chevy Silverado, ext cab, 5.3L, TVS 1900, vette servo, 3.42s, Pacesetter LTs and ORY with 3" cats, flowmaster super 44, 4" DJM C Arms/7" MCG Flip, 22" Rockstars, 265/40/R22 Falkens, 90mm TB, Cowl Hood, SS Bumper Cover, Tuned By Justin BBP
j_ahlheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Trader Rating: 1
Teching In

Thanks alot guys you answered my question. The truck is not going to always be stock, just during the warranty period. Yes it is annoying as hell and thats why I'm turning it off now, constantly jumping back and foward from 8 to 4 and I can't stand the vibration when its in 4. Plus I've seen some threads where all the afm lifters start to "tick" GM knows theres a problem but have not fixed this and just replace the bad lifters with different ones when you bring it in for service. Also I didn't quite understand this its beyond my knowledge but some people have complained about "over active lifters" that somehow bleed oil into the cyllinder and cause the rings to stick making your engine lose compression. Theres just more advantages to just get rid of the whole system than to keep it. Thanks again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]LS1 6 speed conversion ,Patriot LS6 heads, Comp Torquer II cam, LS6 intake, Kooks L/T Headers,Magnaflo catback,Hotchkis: 1.5 lowering springs,front/rear swaybars,Lower control arms,KYB shocks and struts,4:10 gears,more to come
jstero99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
PerformanceTrucks
Ford F150

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 53, 53l, afm, chevy, disable, dod, lifters, silverado, trucks, turn, turning