GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Truck shopping

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
I dunno man.

The 1500HD with the LQ4 and 4.10's that we had as a shop truck got 10-12 on avg no matter what. Didn't matter if it was unloaded, had the plow on the front or pulling a trailer, it just got **** mpg's.

The 5.3 with the 6L80e will should get 14-15 freeway pulling the weight you want to pull. Thats 5 down from the unloaded freeway mpg rating. Like you said you don't need to haul stuff everyday, going with a 6.0 in the older 1500HD or going with a NNBS 6.0 with the 6L90e just seem overkill for your needs and you'll be using more fuel all the time.
That's pretty rough for a 1500hd, my Dad's 2500hd with 4.10's knocked down 15 all the time...my buddies 1500hd with 3.73's is around there but he does much more town driving than Dad.

I do lawn care so towing happens pretty much every day from apr. till oct.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Or just find a NNBS truck with the 6.2 V8 if you want the extra power and torque in the 1500. They are rated at 400-420hp and 450ish ft lbs depending on year. That will tow your weight even better and you still get decent freeway mpg unloaded.
Really really thinking about a 6.2 actually, may sound crazy, but I've been looking at Denali's and Escalade's...always planned on keeping my truck, so when I have to have a truck bed done and done...and the kiddo will have a nice place to sit on the way to ma's in the morning.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Pulled the trigger.

2007 Denali, probably a bit nice for what I need, but had the drivetrain I wanted and WTH you only live once.

As far as I can tell it doesn't need much improvement (already makes my 99 feel like a turd), but figured I'd ask you guys what things might make it a bit nicer...for instance I found a bluetooth adapter for the factory stereo, so that will be nice to do and I'll get to keep the stock dvd player and all that.

Doesn't have nav which I'm fine with but a backup camera could be nice for hooking up trailers and such, not liking the thought of running wires for one though.

Any drivetrain or engine mods you guys think might be a good idea? Doesn't need more power as far as I can see so far but a little more never hurt right?!? Not looking to do anything drastic for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Truck shopping-20160212_171627.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Intake tube for a few horsepower (just a tube, factory airbox is good) and general maintenance if you don't know the history.

Biggest things on those denali's is having fresh fluid in everything because it's AWD. Rear air shocks tend to blow out and the compressor dies from it, hopefully you checked those over and are in good condition. And the early 07-08 trucks tend to leak oil but it's not the end of the world.

Otherwise the 400hp motor should treat you well.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Intake tube for a few horsepower (just a tube, factory airbox is good) and general maintenance if you don't know the history.

Biggest things on those denali's is having fresh fluid in everything because it's AWD. Rear air shocks tend to blow out and the compressor dies from it, hopefully you checked those over and are in good condition. And the early 07-08 trucks tend to leak oil but it's not the end of the world.

Otherwise the 400hp motor should treat you well.
Everything except a partially broken door handle I missed yesterday looks clean (some carpet staining, would be a little happier if it had the dark interior) ...ordered door handle a few minutes ago.

What about tunes? It has plenty of power really, but a tube would be easy enough...mpg increases maybe more helpful, it's DRINKING some fuel right now, but I'm kinda excited and been getting on it.

I have a Turbo Buick with a fast system I tune myself and some of my buddies' cars, but I've never played with hp tuners or efi live before...owners manual says 87 is fine but probably not with a tune I assume, how do I find out if it's flex fuel or not for sure? Nothing in the manual so I'm guessing not available in 07.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

A tune can help with performance and making it slightly quicker, a transmission tune can do wonders too for feel anyway.

Getting better mpg will be hard, it's heavy and is AWD. Me personally I'd never run 87 in a 6.2, most all say to run 91 or higher from what I recall. And if the gas cap is yellow, it will be a flex fuel truck but the early 6.2 might not have been flex fuel at all.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

A tune can help with performance and making it slightly quicker, a transmission tune can do wonders too for feel anyway.

Getting better mpg will be hard, it's heavy and is AWD. Me personally I'd never run 87 in a 6.2, most all say to run 91 or higher from what I recall. And if the gas cap is yellow, it will be a flex fuel truck but the early 6.2 might not have been flex fuel at all.
I haven't weighed it, but from what I have read it should be the same as my truck was 5600 pounds...no idea if that is accurate...I know it won't ever be "good" but if I can improve it and get a couple of ponies that would be cool...caps definitely not yellow btw
Old 02-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Teching In

My Escalade ESV with 22s weighed 5660lbs for what its worth, but it's rwd. Hands down get a tune. It makes the vehicle SO different. I run a 93 octane tune, and while I couldn't tell a difference in the butt dyno from it really, the transmission tuning does WONDERS. Stock the transmission seems very lazy. I couldn't go back to a stock trans tune now.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by langsbr
My Escalade ESV with 22s weighed 5660lbs for what its worth, but it's rwd. Hands down get a tune. It makes the vehicle SO different. I run a 93 octane tune, and while I couldn't tell a difference in the butt dyno from it really, the transmission tuning does WONDERS. Stock the transmission seems very lazy. I couldn't go back to a stock trans tune now.
The esv is the long one right? Like a yukon xl?
Old 02-14-2016, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slow91z

What about tunes? It has plenty of power really, but a tube would be easy enough...mpg increases maybe more helpful, it's DRINKING some fuel right now, but I'm kinda excited and been getting on it.
I'm personally VERY satisfied with the tune I got from Black Bear Performance. Justin is a sponsor of this site, his link is to the right.

Quick Reply: Truck shopping