Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Opinions and insight wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions and insight wanted

Looking for opinions and some insight on a few things I have planned. I have 2011 crew cab 5.3 with a 3.42, 6l80e.. bone stock.

I'm doing a cam and have a guy for that who is gonna hook a brother up. With that being said there are a few other things I'd like to do such as

-lowering- what's a good ride height, comfort, recommended kits... etc
-wheels and tires (20s/22s)
-full exhaust
-gears, locker?.. recommendations?

anything else I may have missed that I may need. If anyone has any pics of their ride with a drop that I could see, it would be appreciated.

thanks for the input fellas.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

More information on the truck, is it 2WD or 4WD?

Lowering and going to larger rims and tires will likely make the ride worse or more bumpy just so you know. I'd suggest 20's as a max as the sidewall height on 22's is cut in half compared to most 20's and it depends on how far you wish to lower it.

I went 1.5/3in drop on my 4x4, though I have no good pictures handy. Coil relocators and drop shackles for me, then removed the 1in lift block in the rear for the full 3in.

Drop spindles with drop struts or coil relocators and a flip kit in the rear would get you a 3/5 or 4/5 drop no problem and should still drive okay if you buy nice shocks. The lower you go the worse the ride could become. The drop you pick will decide tire size too. The 2/3 drop will run stock size tires no problem, even a 3/5 might get away with it too on 20's. Though it might rub and you'll need shorter sidewall tires.

Long tube headers and pick you posion on a catback or just chop the stock muffler out and re-use the factory pipe as it's plenty big for a mild NA setup. If you remove the cats, it's going to rasp and likely drone a lot without a resonator.

Gears, go with 3.90's or 4.10's in my opinion. A tru-trac locker will work fine.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

It's a 2wd. I meant to put that. All helpful. The gears is something I want to do later. Right now, the 3.42s will do. I have a tune now and I figured a locker is a must because on a wet day I can't get any traction to save my life.

I saw ground force has a 3/5 kit for a drop. Any pros or cons? Also will likely stick to 20s. I have 22s currently and I'm not a fan of the short sidewall.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I would not go with their kit, they replace the factory leaf springs which is not needed and you lose the ability to haul and tow with their setup. Keeping the factory leafs still give you more for that. I'd recommend helper bags if you plan to tow/haul a lot.

Here are some parts I'd use, not including shocks.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2007-2013 Front 2" Drop Spindles - McGaughys Part# 34037 - Mcgaughys-Suspension.com

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 1999-2006 Rear 6" Drop Axle Flip Kit - McGaughys Part# 33034 - Mcgaughys-Suspension.com

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2007-2017 Rear Lift Hangers - McGaughys Part# 93049 - Mcgaughys-Suspension.com

The rest you could pick from, either drop struts up front, drop springs or coil relocators.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

That's actually really good to know. Thanks for the input you've given me.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Update.. ordered a 4/6 drop kit from Mcgaughys. Seemed to basically have all the same parts mentioned above aside from shocks. Any recommendations on what anyone else has liked for shocks? Also, does anyone have any issues they ran into with install of this kit?

I am looking for some wheels and tires, and will likely order some kooks 1 3/4 headers with a Y pipe. Havent really decided on what exhaust I want to run yet. I like magnaflow but I've seen some newer stuff coming out lately like these black widow mufflers and things. At any rate, once I get the headers and exhaust it will be sent off to John Weeks here in Pensacola for a custom grind cam, lifters, rods, springs and a gnarly tune.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

3/5 is perfect on stock 20's for a daily, IMO.

I'm running the Belltech SP front and rear and like the ride. If I go to 22's in the future I will drop it another inch all the way around.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

UPDATE
That's a clean ride. Those GMC front ends look so much better on these body styles. I actually just bought a set of snowflake rep 22s that I'm having the Toyo Proxes put on. I've also ordered a magnaflow bullet (p# 14419) that ill be putting on soon.

So for anyone interested, the setup I'm looking for will be as follows:
-4/6 drop
-snowflake rep 22s wrapped in Toyo Proxes ST-II
-American Racing 1 3/4 LTs with a single Magnaflow bullet muffler. (any opinions on a side exit through the body?)
-Stall Converter, undecided on make and speed. really liked the 3200 circle D i had in the past.
-Full Cam kit with custom grind
-gears, thinking 4.11, although that will come much later more than likely and with a locker.

One thing idk about is wires. What plug wires or setup with the headers have yall used that's worked well?

There are various other things ill do that are cosmetic mostly (interior, LED upgrade on cluster and panels, tint, some color matching, double din, katzkin? maybe...) I cant really see if I'm missing anything in what I've got so far. Any input is welcomed as far as things some of you would've done differently.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
I would not go with their kit, they replace the factory leaf springs which is not needed and you lose the ability to haul and tow with their setup. Keeping the factory leafs still give you more for that. I'd recommend helper bags if you plan to tow/haul a lot.

Here are some parts I'd use, not including shocks.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2007-2013 Front 2" Drop Spindles - McGaughys Part# 34037 - Mcgaughys-Suspension.com

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 1999-2006 Rear 6" Drop Axle Flip Kit - McGaughys Part# 33034 - Mcgaughys-Suspension.com

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2007-2017 Rear Lift Hangers - McGaughys Part# 93049 - Mcgaughys-Suspension.com

The rest you could pick from, either drop struts up front, drop springs or coil relocators.

After trial and error, this ^^ is the set I ended up with. The front has factory Monroe struts and Mcgaughys rear shocks. I can take the truck anywhere, for any distance without being uncomfortable. It rides like stock, but with a lower CG. I also have 20'' factory wheels on nitto 420's in a 275/55/20.

First I did the 4/6...and it wasn't too "daily driver" friendly, although I am particular about having a comfortable ride. The Mcgaughys 2'' drop struts sagged and were wayyy to soft, and the rear was constantly on the bump stops. It didn't help that the roads in Southern California are thrashed. Everyone has their own preferences and depending on your location, maybe the 4/6 is for you.

If I were to go back to the 4/6, buying high quality (ridetech/viking/qa1) shocks would be first on the list.