Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Need help with Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help with Suburban

My in-laws have an 07 Suburban with a 5.3l. A couple months ago we rode with them to the beach and everything was good until we got nearly back home. It started having a misfire at idle randomly. It has been doing that ever since but still running fairly well besides that.

On thanksgiving day they took it on a little trip and it shut off on them. My father in-law said it sounded like a diesel for a second and then shut off.

They had it towed back home and I was able to check the codes this morning and it's showing p0016.

It says "crankshaft position-camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A."

It will turn over and it sounds like a cylinder or two might be trying to fire but it will not start.

Maybe needs a new Crank position sensor and a relearn? They have another vehicle to drive so it's not an emergency but I'd like to fix it for them so they don't have to pay somebody.

Thanks,
Joey
Old 11-30-2015, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to ask, but if we end up changing the crank position sensor and/or cam position sensor do we need to have a crank relearn done anway

Joey
Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Ummm dumb question do you have or have access to a lab scope??
Old 12-01-2015, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

No, I'm not sure I even know what that is.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by JFortner5
I forgot to ask, but if we end up changing the crank position sensor and/or cam position sensor do we need to have a crank relearn done anway

Joey
To answer this question, Yes.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lab scope is another name for an oscilloscope, youd be able to see actual cam/crank signals and correlation.... But its a mute point if you dont have( or have access to) one.....

Brick, i thought they relearned themselves automatically when you cranked the engine??!! Maybe thats older gm's..... Havent seen too many cam/crank sensors go bad on gm, usually fords nissans and chryslers i see crank/cam sensor problems on... Not to say its not unheard of but kinda rare...

OP is this a nnbs suburban..... Could be broken timing chain tensioner, or sonething goin on with chain.....if you can "borrow" good known sensors i would go that route first though before tearing into the engine.......
Old 12-01-2015, 11:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Lab scope is another name for an oscilloscope, youd be able to see actual cam/crank signals and correlation.... But its a mute point if you dont have( or have access to) one.....

Brick, i thought they relearned themselves automatically when you cranked the engine??!! Maybe thats older gm's..... Havent seen too many cam/crank sensors go bad on gm, usually fords nissans and chryslers i see crank/cam sensor problems on... Not to say its not unheard of but kinda rare...

OP is this a nnbs suburban..... Could be broken timing chain tensioner, or sonething goin on with chain.....if you can "borrow" good known sensors i would go that route first though before tearing into the engine.......
No. They have a small window they can operate in but outside of that it should always be relearned for any variances. Too much and it will throw a code and or possibly run bad.

Hence the reason they put the relearn feature in the scan tool software. They now have a feature in some of the tuning software to copy over the learned data when flashing a tune.

I haven't seen very many fail either. I would also suspect a mechanical issue of sort.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe its just older gms that relearned themselves then...
Old 12-06-2015, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys he's been busy this week working, but said he just swapped the Crank position sensor. Still won't start. I'm sorry I know I'm not much help I've never been inside one of these engines (yet) and I know it's even harder to diagnose something over a computer.

I assumed if the crank/cam sensor was the problem it would run if they were changed, and then get the relearn after. I was just thinking maybe something happened with the timing chain but I've never heard of one breaking. I don't know if this helps any, but this thing does have AFM and burns a good bit of oil.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Need to do a compression test, and you may end up going inside the engine, the gen 4 engines are known for oil consumption isues and with dod collapsed lifters.....