Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

My Sleeper Idea

Old 05-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sleeper Idea

Let me start by saying im sorry for the long post or bad grammar

Ok I'm rocking an 08 RCSB 4.8 and honestly I'm tired of every HEMI,TUNDRA,TITAN and 5.3/6.2 Silverados picking on me. The truck is lowered on SS 20's and is a magnet for races. I havent really invested in any real mods. It has an ebay CAI, power max tuner and flowmaster 2 chamber. I did have 3.73's installed a while back. It's really not geared for the track. When it shifts to 3rd about 100ft before the traps it kinda lugs and runs high 15.9's@84. By holding 2nd till fuel cut which is about 50-60ft before the traps it goes 15.89@86.

The only trucks that I don't seem to have problems pulling are 4.6 and 5.4 F150's. From what I can tell most new from stock to full bolts-ons trap anywhere from 83-102 unless its a modded up ecoboost and then it's 102-107.

Now before anyone says "throw a turbo on it or a supercharger" I want to stop you there. Problem with the world today when it comes to racing is excuses. Everyone has got them. And those would be the first words out of someone's mouth. Took boost to beat my motor. Heard it with my 03 Cobra and don't need to listen to it with my DD truck especially when we are talking about some bolt-on stock stuff.

Same goes with doing a cam and stall in the 4.8. If I'm at a light sitting next to a new hemi with bolt-ons and I sound like I have a 220r 112 lobing the fxck away{which sounds badass by the way}.. If I win....here come the excuses!! If I lose here come the insults. But I still put the pen to paper

TR220 cam kit...$750.00 new....$550.00 used
Jakes stall.........$950.00 new...$450.00 used
------------------------------
Total.............$1700.00 new....$1000.00 used

Any other ideas like LT's, tune, ud pulley would go on anything.

So here is my sleeper idea.

LY6 shortblock with stock ls2 cam {I already own the cam w/new springs}
Mill the stock {4.8}799 heads .030 with cometic .040 gasket.
{My math comes up to 10:8:1 comp but check it}
Do alittle DIY porting/polishing to clean up things..knife edge and such.
Possibly cut the top off the intake and port it. GEN 4 is basically a tbss restamp

LY6 shortblock $800.00
Mill heads...$150.00
Head gaskets $120.00
Pushrods $100.00
-----------------------------------
TOTAL........$1170.00

Basically doing an iron block LS2 with mild ported heads and intake. Then throw on the normal bolt-ons and tune.....

Most tbss put down 360-380whp/380-400wtq with bolt ons and tune. The have a nice low and fat mid range to get this brick moving off the line and push it through the air.. The TBSS curb weight is 4700-4800lbs which is what the NNBS RCSB weigh and they have identical gearing in the trans. It would be 3.73's vs 4.10's and from what I have seen the stock tbss stall is 1800-1900 vs 1600-1700 in the nnbs. But maybe the head porting and intake porting will help out a little in that department. Most of the bolt-on tbss I see on their forum trap 102 plus.

With a good trans tune, 6an lines and a big trans cooler along with keeping the shifts low. 6kish I would think that would give the 4l60/65 the best life possible for a modded truck.

END RESULT: A truck that sounds like any other stock truck with exhaust but pull away from 99% of the normal trucks I see on a day to day basis. Then get a personalized plate to get more races like ANGRY 4.8 or 4.8 FTW.

Thoughts or suggestions welcome

Last edited by 5.3parts; 05-03-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:24 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol im building a 370 for mine along with a 6l90. Why because street truck. The cam i have picked out for it wont lope like the 220 in my 4.8 so it should be more of a sleeper then than now. Also ive raced less since ive put my cam in it because people dont know what a cammed motor sounds like anymore and think somethings wrong with it or they know and dont want to get their prides hurt cuz i beat them in a truck lol.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

I have a Lq4 with 243s and ls2 cam. It's not very fast.

Your reasoning sounds kinda dumb to me. If you want to build a fast truck, build a fast truck.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
Lol im building a 370 for mine along with a 6l90. Why because street truck. The cam i have picked out for it wont lope like the 220 in my 4.8 so it should be more of a sleeper then than now. Also ive raced less since ive put my cam in it because people dont know what a cammed motor sounds like anymore and think somethings wrong with it or they know and dont want to get their prides hurt cuz i beat them in a truck lol.
Thats awesome!!

Originally Posted by brewster240
I have a Lq4 with 243s and ls2 cam. It's not very fast.

Your reasoning sounds kinda dumb to me. If you want to build a fast truck, build a fast truck.

I think the misunderstanding is that Im not looking to build a "fast truck". That might be my fault based on what I wrote or the way I wrote it..

I dont want 600hp ,700hp or 1000hp DD. Dont want to take on bikes or supras. Hell Im not even looking to take on newer mustangs or camaros {they dont fxck with me} And Im not knocking the people that do!! I think fast trucks are badass!! I know me.... If im making 600hp or 1000hp in a 4800lb truck I will be breaking shxt left and right. I wont lie Im hard on shxt. Every straight away it would be on..... I watch SWG 4wd 9 sec street truck launch and Im like "yeah that would be me from every light".

Sometimes you have to save yourself from yourself. If I wanted to go fast I'd build another light weight car. Easier on parts!

I have owned and raced low 8 high 7 sec bikes. I have been 144 mph through the 1/8 and 174 through the 1/4. I have owned 8 mustangs ranging 9 sec-15 sec range and 3 camaros from the 11 sec-15 sec range. .I dont consider what Im looking to do as being a "fast" build.

I see alot of threads where people do 5-6psi with a supercharger or turbo to make their DD more fun. Or small cams and convertors. BREAK UP THE DAY TO DAY. To me talking about doing what Im doing is not trying to go "fast" its just having alittle fun. Same goals others have just acheiving it a different way.

See the reality is on a day to day basis I dont see 12 sec,11sec or 10 sec trucks. Honestly even on the weekend driving around I dont see them either. Probably 90 percent of the ones that do mess with me will trap mid to low 90's. So for me it wouldnt serve any purpose to build something crazy to take on stock/bolt-on trucks.

Im sure your thinking "well why didnt you buy a 5.3 or 6.2 then".. Well I dont know if you have ever searched for a nnbs black RCSB before. I searched for a few months for one and honestly most are 4.3's with roll up windows and rubber floor mats. To find a black v8 with carpet,pw and pl was not easy. But thats what I wanted. I knew the 4.8 was gutless and I lived with it for awhile but after alittle bit it gets old lead footing every light. It has no sack until 4k...... kinda like driving a auto honda civic of trucks. And what really chaps my azz is seeing 5.3/6.0/6.2 get better mpg then me and walk away from me. I have a few co-workers that consistly get better mpg in CC.

Sucks to hear you lq4,243's and ls2 cam doesnt run that great but I but it would run circles around my 4.8

Last edited by 5.3parts; 05-03-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just strap the whipple from the classifieds on for $4200, you'll be happy.

Here's my sleeper Lysholm Silverado - YouTube
Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you don't even know the trucks you are racing. So how would they flip you **** for modding? Also, they can say the same things about any H/C/I setup too. If nothing else tell them you did it with less displacement or less money if you are worried about pissing matches.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dick_landy
Just strap the whipple from the classifieds on for $4200, you'll be happy.

Here's my sleeper Lysholm Silverado - YouTube
Thats a killer setup!! I wish I had your 5.3 6 spd setup.. Wouldn't be getting picked on. I did look into doing the older side mount setup from a 99-06 and just changing out the tb mounts. Thats really way more then I would spend.

Originally Posted by Funkster
Sounds like you don't even know the trucks you are racing.
The trucks I would be racing would be stock to bolt-on trucks like the ones listed above and maybe some modded diesels as well. Get a few of them puffing away.

So how would they flip you **** for modding?
Your telling me you have never heard people say "he only beat me because"?

Also, they can say the same things about any H/C/I setup too.
You cant see ported intake or hear mild ported heads. And the stock LS2 cam doesn't lobe.. so what would they hear?

If nothing else tell them you did it with less displacement or less money if you are worried about pissing matches.
the plate would make them think it is less displacement.

Keep in mind this is for a fun DD. No records,money or goals really here. Simply leveling the playing field.

Last edited by 5.3parts; 05-04-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This idea is a decent one and especially if you can keep it budget friendly with ultra reliability. You will be pushing 400hp easy. If you have the budget a sleeper cam wouldn't be tough to produce that makes more power than the LS2 cam. Also why not get a decent size stall? I wouldn't waste your time on 4.10s it will be barely noticeable although 4.30s would work out very nice.

I plan on building something of a different animal. RCLB with a 370 sleeper nitrous cam AWD80e complete with 4x4 bed sticker 3600 stall and a 300 shot hidden under a stock engine cover. Gonna leave it stock height with all the grandpa trim and maybe even a crappy camper shell alá farm truck. Gonna have crappy 16" stock steel wheels and everything. Should cost under 4k for the truck and under 10k for the mods. 800awhp on the street hurting feelings and taking money for ricers and bigger money cars at the same time.

Last edited by gamble686; 05-04-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gamble686
... maybe even a crappy camper shell alá farm truck....
YEAH!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gamble686
This idea is a decent one and especially if you can keep it budget friendly with ultra reliability. You will be pushing 400hp easy. If you have the budget a sleeper cam wouldn't be tough to produce that makes more power than the LS2 cam.
I considered a larger cam but all the cams including the 212/218 people are so fond of want to rev higher to make more hp and give up 3500 rpm and down. Im trying to make alot of area under the curve power/torque before 6k for the trans.

I am considering run pac1218's instead of the stock ls2 springs so later I can find some used SLP 1.85 rockers. They seemed to have a nice area under the curve power/tq gain.

Also why not get a decent size stall? I wouldn't waste your time on 4.10s it will be barely noticeable although 4.30s would work out very nice.
Talking to the guy thats gonna tune the truck and trans he said the stall will cause the trans to run at higher temps when I driving and beating on it. My day to day driving is 13 miles one way with 19 stop lights. So I take off and accel up to the speed limit alot back and fourth everyday. He also said that in his experiance rpm kills 60/65's. With a goal of over 400hp/420tq{CRANK} I would already be leaning on the 60/65. He said the best chances I have of keeping the stock 60/65 alive without a built trans is to keep the rev's low,no stall convertor and big *** trans cooler. Im gonna run a fan on it just for alittle added cooling.

I really dont want to invest in the 60/65. I would later like to do a 6L80 setup or if I decide to make it "fast" do a 4l80 with a turbo setup.

I plan on building something of a different animal. RCLB with a 370 sleeper nitrous cam AWD80e complete with 4x4 bed sticker 3600 stall and a 300 shot hidden under a stock engine cover. Gonna leave it stock height with all the grandpa trim and maybe even a crappy camper shell alá farm truck. Gonna have crappy 16" stock steel wheels and everything. Should cost under 4k for the truck and under 10k for the mods. 800awhp on the street hurting feelings and taking money for ricers and bigger money cars at the same time.

I like the way you think!!!

Last edited by 5.3parts; 05-06-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Sleeper Idea