Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

LMG (flex-fuel LY5) replacement options? (2007 Avalanche)

Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMG (flex-fuel LY5) replacement options? (2007 Avalanche)

I have about 250K miles on my 5.3 in my 2007 Avalanche. The rear main has started leaking, and either the valve guides are worn, or the seals have gone bad (blue smoke on startup). The engine is also down on power and I suspect the intake has a vacuum leak. In other words, it's tired and needs to be replaced.

I hate the thought of spending all that money and time just to put in another 5.3 so I was looking at other options. I came across an LY6 at Jegs for $4135 with no core. Does anyone know of a better route to 6.0 or 6.2L? I don't really care for all-out performance (I've got a Camaro for that). All I'm after is a refresh with more power than the 5.3, which tends to struggle when towing up hills.

Anyway, I think the LY6 uses rectangular intake ports not cathedral, right? If that's the case, I'd assume a new intake, but what about the injectors, rails, throttle body, etc?

Also, what would it take to keep the VVT (or is it even worth it)? Would the existing water pump and accessories bolt up?

Any other considerations? Again, I'm not stuck on the LY6 but I need more than a stock 5.3L...

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

You could just fix the 5.3 up, new seals, a quick hone, AFM/DoD delete and install an aftermarket camshaft. You still get more power and still be at half the cost of a new motor from jegs.

Or just find a complete pull out from a 2500/3500 gas truck and slap it in there. Do a tune on it and you are running.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
You could just fix the 5.3 up, new seals, a quick hone, AFM/DoD delete and install an aftermarket camshaft. You still get more power and still be at half the cost of a new motor from jegs.

Or just find a complete pull out from a 2500/3500 gas truck and slap it in there. Do a tune on it and you are running.
Thanks for the input. Another 5.3 (w/cam) might be an option. I don't have time to rebuild the one I've got -- I don't think I've ever had ANYTHING in and out of a machine shop in less than 3 weeks (and usually it seems like it takes longer). My other car is street-legal, but not really pleasant to drive for long periods.

I don't want to do a used engine because this truck will probably end up going to my son in a couple of years so it needs to last a while. Maybe I'll look for a decent used engine that's rebuildable. Just thinking out loud...

Thanks again for getting the thought process going!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

How old is your son? Buy a used 5.3 or 6.0 and slap it in and take the lmg and make it a learning experience, if he is younger, and rebuild it with him!

Search this Thread