Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

E38 Boosted Peeps! TUNE QUESTION! How much boost/power before you ditched the MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What software are you tuning with? Have a log and/or tune we can look at?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adunphy
What software are you tuning with? Have a log and/or tune we can look at?
EFILive. I'll try to get the latest log and tune up soon. I'm crazy jetlagged from flyng back from halfway around the world yesterday and thinking of this makes my head hurt lol
Old 06-07-2016, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Here you go. You'll see spikes in the WB_Lambda value while the injectors take a nose dive; def. not running out of fuel.

that's running a MAF only tune Closed Loop. I have doubts of having a bad batch of gas too.
Attached Files
File Type: efi
Log_0074.efi (151.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

this is when we first turned on closed loop with MAF and VVE .. previous to this, we had very close fueling for MAF and VVE tunes. together in Closed look, they just started messing up. Again, bad gas may be a culprit unless you'll see something obvious in the tune.

One thing that we looked into is the location of the P/S O2 sensor very close to the merge pipe / wastegate like I may have mentioned. May be looking into re-locating it to the downpipe like some kits I've seen it's not under all that turbulent flow in that area.
Attached Files
File Type: efi
Log_0071.efi (247.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

so we've heard from all those who didn't get it to work, but I know there are some that have it working with no problem. where are they at?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Default E38 Boosted Peeps! TUNE QUESTION! How much boost/power before you ditched the MAF?

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
so we've heard from all those who didn't get it to work, but I know there are some that have it working with no problem. where are they at?
See my issue is that is DOES work by scaling the tune with plenty more available on the table. But its only worked with MAF only on an open loop tune. As soon as CL is activated, it started acting stupid.
Only fact that's making me point fuel is that it now has some knock retard and also a perfectly fine tune we used to dial in the MAF in OL doesn't work as it did before. Gonna run this tank empty and go to a name brand gas station before I try tuning again.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Well guys we played with it this evening and was able to get some clean logs. Between MAF open loop tuning, also came up with the final number of 14psi at about 40 duty cycle on the TruBoost. MAF hit 12000HZ at 14psi (about 200kpa) and was able to finally achieve a full WOT 6000rpm 1-2 shift!

My buddy just sent me the CL version of the tune. Its late now so gonna take her out again tomorrow and do back to back pulls with OL and CL tunes and see how she does. I've stocked up on O2 sensor bungs and welding gas to relocate the O2 sensors if needed ... lol
Old 06-12-2016, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Default E38 Boosted Peeps! TUNE QUESTION! How much boost/power before you ditched the MAF?

Well to put this all to rest, seems we have it all figured out. Made sure the MAF wire was inserted well and secure and kept at it. It def wasn't intuitive....

We tuned MAF only open loop as close to perfect as we could.

Then we tuned VVE open loop and also got very close.

The we combined them with STFT active .. holy **** it all went to hell!!! We were stupid Rich by like 20% (not lean like I first said, edited)! ... played with the VVE and it didn't make much of a difference but tuning the MAF in this way affected the AFR ... so we did a few more runs until we were happy with fueling at WOT.

Have it boosting to 15psi max for now. With TruBoost off, I'm at about 7-8 psi, setting A @ ~10psi and B @ ~15psi ... still messing around with the boost curve and trying to get it to get to peak boost faster and not spike by playing with the duty cycle setting vs. WG spring pressure setting.

Last edited by Mean Green z28; 06-13-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so you ended up fine tuning the MAF with dynamic Airflow enabled (VVE)? ... or did you end up disabling dynmaic air and going back to pure MAF?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by adunphy
so you ended up fine tuning the MAF with dynamic Airflow enabled (VVE)? ... or did you end up disabling dynmaic air and going back to pure MAF?
Yup everything active and had to go back and retune the lower end of the maf table. Im guessing dynamic air is a HPT term?

Only main difference is that we set the rpm where it goes from blend to MAF only (high speed) from 4000 down to 2500 as the transition at 4000 was when we were well into boost and there was a lean spike right at that point that we couldn't quite figure out where its coming from. The kpa value was at 85kpa before PE could be enabled. So now it's down low where it does no harm and the VVE does its job for around town driving where it's really needed and the MAF does the wot stuff.

Last edited by Mean Green z28; 06-13-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: E38 Boosted Peeps! TUNE QUESTION! How much boost/power before you ditched the MAF?