Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Catastrophic Engine Failure <90k miles, out of warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 PM
launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catastrophic Engine Failure <90k miles, out of warranty.

2009 Avalanche, 5.3 LT2, 89k miles on the clock, factory tune, CAI, basic exhaust mods. I take pretty good care of the truck, last oil change was 1k miles ago, albeit by a shop. Very little light duty towing.

Remote started at park and ride after getting off bus, walking towards I hear what I would call a chirp in rhythm with the engine idle. Thought maybe engine was just cold, drove home, truck felt fine, power was there, oil pressure was there, but chirp remained when I got home.

Now at home, thought it was belt or pulley wear, pulled off belt, pulleys checked out fine, started engine without belt, noise still present. I knew problems were big at that point.

I began researching similar problems, and ran across ALL the AFM lifter failures, and it seems I'm another victim.

Local dealer confirmed, also found metal shavings in oil, suspect thrown main also.

They quoted me a little over 8k out the door with a new GM long block, labor and tax, I told them they were crazy.

They called back and said they can do 7150, 36 months, 100,000 mile warranty.

This is a fair price for dealer work, is it not? Long block comes out a little over 4k after core.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a lot of money to dump into a 8 year old truck, imo. You'll never get that money back if you decide to sell it. If it were my truck I could think of few ways to better spend $7k on it but I'd be getting my hands dirty. Maybe get a price from a local shop to pull a junkyard motor or even a new reman motor and swap it out.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I bet if you sent it to a machine shop, they could clean it up and toss new bearings in it for far less. Then just delete the DoD/AFM when that is done.

I know I wouldn't pay $7,000 for a new engine and install.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Not worth it..... These engines are a dime a dozen.... especially 5.3's. Find one cheap, used, and delete the AFM in it. Slap that in and save yourself around 5 grand to have fun with!
Old 10-07-2016, 09:07 PM
launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Feed
That's a lot of money to dump into a 8 year old truck, imo. You'll never get that money back if you decide to sell it. If it were my truck I could think of few ways to better spend $7k on it but I'd be getting my hands dirty. Maybe get a price from a local shop to pull a junkyard motor or even a new reman motor and swap it out.
I heard that, and honestly I could do it. But frankly, being a full-time college student, working 2 part time jobs and a work study, I don't have the time. I just need it fixed.

BTW, that crate engine is a new reman, according to the dealer, they're all reman. now.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I work for a dealership and that bugs the hell out of me, they will fix it under warrnaty up to 100k miles but as soon as warranty is out they want to throw one in there.... Wtf is the difference.... Call the dealer back and bitch long and hard enough and get them to get gm involved or for that matter call gm yourself and get them involved... Bet they fix it.... You probably had a lifter roller **** the bed ate the came, doubt the crank bearings are hurt, cam bearings may be a different story....
Old 10-08-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah they scab it together under warranty... After the lifter has ate a lobe the bearings in the engine are garbage and the crank is scored. They run... Good enough right... When it's on GM's dime sure.. Otherwise a different long block. My current 6 liter project was one like that... Cam bearings looked new... Low mile and it ran good. Oh... But the rods and mains were in pretty terrible shape and the crank needed a grind. How long would it last like that? Probably enough to outlive the remaining warranty loCamI Jace a few gen 4's now "fixed" under warranty... I keep the heads and junk the rest of it lol. Damaged LS cranks are worthless..

Op seems pretty determined to pay 7k for an engine in a truck worth maybe 12 so just let him lol.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 10-08-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a used longblock from a reputable salvage company like LKQ. I did a quick search and you can source one from $550 to $1500 depending on miles and accessories. Get yourself a DOD/AFM delete kit.

Load all this up, call a flatbed, and have it dropped at a local shop to do the R&I. Figure 12-16 hours book rate (Shopkey says 8). Any competent shop can pull this off without a problem.

$3k high end and you're back in business and have to use very little of your own muscle.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Yeah they scab it together under warranty... After the lifter has ate a lobe the bearings in the engine are garbage and the crank is scored. They run... Good enough right... When it's on GM's dime sure.. Otherwise a different long block. My current 6 liter project was one like that... Cam bearings looked new... Low mile and it ran good. Oh... But the rods and mains were in pretty terrible shape and the crank needed a grind. How long would it last like that? Probably enough to outlive the remaining warranty loCamI Jace a few gen 4's now "fixed" under warranty... I keep the heads and junk the rest of it lol. Damaged LS cranks are worthless..

Op seems pretty determined to pay 7k for an engine in a truck worth maybe 12 so just let him lol.
Actually under warranty the dealer i work for will put cam and crank bearings new cam and crank whole nine yards... Problem is warranty only pays about 16hours for it.... That or i am getting screwed!!!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Actually under warranty the dealer i work for will put cam and crank bearings new cam and crank whole nine yards... Problem is warranty only pays about 16hours for it.... That or i am getting screwed!!!
That's refreshing... I know most guys would want to do it right but GM doesn't pay... So do what they allow. Since my Cam bearings in this 6 liter are mint and the rest were junk someone swapped them lol.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Engine Failure <90k miles, out of warranty.