Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Anybody Running Stainless Works Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Running Stainless Works Exhaust?

Hey guys. Just thought I'd see if anyone was running the Stainless Works LT Headers and ORX Pipe (the true dual system)?

Seen here...

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase these or the Kook's set with the ORY pipe.

I'll be getting it tuned again immediately following install; with a rear O2 delete.

Future goals, DoD/AFM Delete, TSP 220, LSXRT, 1.7 Comp Shaft Mount Rockers, Circle D 3-3200, 4:10 gears.

Last edited by seerysj; 07-28-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! Not even an opinion... I'm shocked.

Well, I guess I'm gonna to have to buy it now, just so the group can hear about it. My guess is that it will probably be an awesome system though.

I'm planning on pairing it with a set of flowmaster 10 series mufflers and dumps. Nothing subtle about this exhaust at all!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

In for feedback. I'd like duals and an X, but not interested in redoing my exhaust anytime soon.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Man Motor club

Why Flowmasters?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Man Motor club

To finish a nice exhaust like that with Flowmasters just seems odd to me. Why not Borla, or maybe Magnaflow?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Honestly, I chose the 10's because they're small. The X-Pipe connection on the stainless works system looks like I'll have maybe about 3"-4" to play with between the two pipes. Thinking about that distance, and the width of the vast majority of after market mufflers is probably going to leave me very limited in regards to which mufflers I can actually use. I'm concerned that if I go any bigger, the mufflers aren't going to fit, and I'll end up having to bend more pipe, and add connections.

I know that Flowmaster's are not the greatest mufflers on the market as far as performance is concerned, and I'm currently searching for alternatives with roughly the same dimensions as the 10's. I'd love to use a flow-through design, i.e. Magnaflow, but just don't know if they'll fit. I'll check their website... maybe I'll get lucky enough to find a similar size.

I'm also waiting to hear back from stainless works, they should be providing me with the dimensions (specifically how much room lies between the two exit pipes). And ultimately that's gonna tell me how large of a muffler I can use.

Additionally, I also asked if they could build an H-pipe system instead of an X. I asked because the X-Pipe connection they use is not a true X, it's more of a limited crossover, created by cutting holes on the sides of the tubing and then welding the two pieces of pipe together. I honestly don't think that this X will benefit from the scavenging designs of a true X-Pipe like Magnaflow's.

If they can't/won't build the H for the same price, I'll probably still end up ordering it; cutting the pipes before the X and welding in a Magnaflow Tru-X. It all depends on what they say. We'll see, but I'll keep everyone posted on their reply. Thanks for the questions and the opinions, keep'em coming.

Last edited by seerysj; 07-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

On the other hand, it might be wise for me to stick with a chambered muffler. This system isn't going to have much back pressure, which might hurt me down low.

I don't do much towing, and the 4:10's that I plan to drop in the rear end might help, but I also don't get to the track much either... I'm under the impression that in order to really see a sizable performance gain from a straight through design, you need to be in the upper RPM range.

Would I be correct in this assumption, I'd like to hear some opinions. What does everyone think about the back pressure issue?

Last edited by seerysj; 07-29-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Oh, and if the general consensus is to go with a flow through, how about a set of Dyna-Tech Split flows???

Seen here...
Name:  20120410_123201.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  3.30 MB
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by seerysj
Seen here...
Only thing I've ever owned from stainless works is their headers and they've served me well.

On to your question......I'd buy that system in a heartbeat! (especially if the headers it attached to were 2" primary type and the exhaust pipes were 3")......Looks like you could run a set of 4" round mufflers on each side with no issues.

Quick Reply: Anybody Running Stainless Works Exhaust?