Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2L porting heads/TB/Intake..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2L porting heads/TB/Intake..

I don't wanna dish out 2g's for heads, and it seems there isnt a better intake manifold out there...so is it worthwhile to get my heads, intake and TB ported? I wanna stay N/A (for now) and already have a cam, headers, tune and intake. Whats average prices for porting these parts? anyone have it done? gains? Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

West coast racing heads did my L 92's stage 2 ad it was a really good deal I would call them and see what they want to do yours
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

i've been looking at doing the same thing to my L92s as I'm fearful of the bottom end coming apart if I go FI. Price depends on the springs, retainers etc that you use (obviously) and sounds like if your already cam'ed you have the push rods and possibly lifters done already. What cam do you have? Did you stick with one of the VVT cams from Comp? The guy I have been talking to about doing my porting seriously recommended VVT delete, but one of the Comp VVT cams says it was designed for ported heads...

I would also like to see some numbers on the porting and cam setup, saw a number on one of the many cnc porting shops claiming 70 rear wheel hp with a ported L92s and cam (believe it was in a Pontiac G8) but I cant confirm with dyno proof. A couple I had looked at was, livenois, TEA, West coast, lingenfelter and Land speed (who I had been discussing options with).
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Well I don't have the cam installed yet because i'm waiting to get a before dyno done but i can never get time off work and the dyno is 2 hrs away...

Its a VVT-1 from Tex speed (comp custom grind iirc) and it came with upgraded springs, seats and pushrods. so if I get em ported probly wont go too crazy. "stage 1" maybe just to see how well it works together. don't wanna have to get a stall or beef up the tranny. hopefully won't need lifters too.

It would be nice if Justin at blackbear was quicker on the replies. It kinda all depends on what he can do for me. I already know that TSP uses HP Tuners for the VVT tables and blackbear is EFILive so I still don't wanna put the cam in til thats sorted either...none of the shops in the city are comfortable doing VVT. They all say delete it....ls7 or 9 cam is popular there.

also, does anyone how the stock injectors are for the ~400whp range?

Last edited by forklord; 07-23-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: meh
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

I was looking at a "street smart" stage 2 setup from land speed and deck the head a bit to get to about 11.0 to 1 compression. I hear you on the VVT delete recommendation, I honestly would like to keep it to reduce the number of parts involved in the swap (lifters, chain, etc) and seeing as Comp has the VVT cam? But like you said I think many people are uncomfortable due to inexperienced or whatever with the VVT and suggest delete of it and going with some LS7 lifters, custom rods, springs and cam.

BTW I have esentially the exact same truck as you but in black and I don't have the All Terrain appearance package just the regular All Terrain. How does yours do for milage with the ARH and BB Tune on highway?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Also the porting guy thought the stock 39lb would be fine for injectors on the 6.2.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Milage is ok so far but im still waiting to get a dyno day in the city. Havent had a long enough trip to get accurate mpg...i really wish i had of gotten the regular package and painted everything white and still saved a couple grand heh...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shaw_426hemi
I was looking at a "street smart" stage 2 setup from land speed and deck the head a bit to get to about 11.0 to 1 compression. I hear you on the VVT delete recommendation, I honestly would like to keep it to reduce the number of parts involved in the swap (lifters, chain, etc) and seeing as Comp has the VVT cam? But like you said I think many people are uncomfortable due to inexperienced or whatever with the VVT and suggest delete of it and going with some LS7 lifters, custom rods, springs and cam.

BTW I have esentially the exact same truck as you but in black and I don't have the All Terrain appearance package just the regular All Terrain. How does yours do for milage with the ARH and BB Tune on highway?
If your just deleting the VVT all you need is cam gear, front cover and cam bolts, stock chain, lifters and push rods will work.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by forklord
I don't wanna dish out 2g's for heads, and it seems there isnt a better intake manifold out there...so is it worthwhile to get my heads, intake and TB ported? I wanna stay N/A (for now) and already have a cam, headers, tune and intake. Whats average prices for porting these parts? anyone have it done? gains? Thanks
Ive looked into ordering some ported TSP ls3 heads for 1200$ and then sell my stock heads for 500$ to make up some cash. Its just an idea...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

im over 400whp and on stock injectors. you'll be just fine.

Quick Reply: 6.2L porting heads/TB/Intake..