Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

5.3 to 6.2 (L9H) swap 2009 GMC k1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 to 6.2 (L9H) swap 2009 GMC k1500

I've been doing my research on the internet and I've decided to upgrade my 2009 GMC Sierra k1500. it's a crew cab and currently has the 5.3/6-speed. 5.3 has about 53k miles on it, it's been a great engine, I just want more power to pull my wakeboard boat on the hills and I don't want to boost or cam my current 5.3. I already drove the 6.2 and love it!!

I'm looking at a brand new GM crate engine L9H, but there are a few things that I haven't been able to find yet. So far, I know I need a new intake manifold & fuel injectors. The fuel rails are off by a single digit at the end of the part #, but I think I've narrowed it down to a mounting issue from the 5.3 to the 6.2 rails.

here are my specific questions which will relate to a parts list:

- since I'm ordering a new engine w/o DOD (active fuel management), I know i'll have an extra sensor at the rear of the engine that i'll simply leave unplugged. but now I'm picking up an extra sensor for the VVT on the new engine. what are my options with this? do I need a new sensor? or am I completely wrong and my current 5.3 has VVT and just don't know it....

- will my 2009 ecm (computer) work with the new engine? the parts guy at the dealer says they're 2 different part numbers, but he thinks it's just because of the year difference (he's going off of a 2012 truck) btw, I know i'll have to get it flashed. going to have the dealer do the 6.2 flash on hopefully the existing computer.

- last, before I do the flash and provided my stock computer works with the new engine, can I start it up after the new engine install? will it actually turn over with the old 5.3 engine programming? I'm asking to see if I can SAFELY drive it to the dealer to have the ecm flashed or if I need to have it towed.

if there's anything I missed (parts, etc...) please let me know. from everything I've came across so far, it's a pretty straight forward swap. i'll take any advice from people that have done it in the past. i'll be sure to post up pics & progress from my swap.

thanks in advance

Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub'd for info. Also, which 5.3 do you have? Most likely your current 5.3 has VVT on it. I'm also fairly sure that your current ECM will work with the 6.2. I will let someone else more knowledgeable confirm this and let you know about driving it. I think you can drive it... but I would be worried about what the AFM might do, which maybe nothing if it's not plugged in.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:13 PM

thanks for the reply. my 5.3 is the one with flexfuel. I'm hoping that it does have vvt, but like I said, just not 100% sure. i'll see what I can find online based on my vin. if not, i'll give the dealer a call in the morning.

EDIT: my engine code is LC9 (checked from the VIN). looks like I might have run into a snag as the 2009 model year LC9 didn't have VVT, 2010+ did.

so with the new engine having VVT (cam is already installed internally) do I just get an additional sensor? new ecm? both????

Last edited by mike187; 07-06-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can also check your glove box for the engine code. It seems odd that a LC9 would not have VVT, but you can confirm by looking at your timing cover below the water pump, there will be be a large hump in it with a wire connector for the VVT.
Do you have a 6 speed or 4? That may be another thing to check with your swap, see of the new motor will match up to your trans if you have a 4 speed.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM

6 speed for sure.

I should have mentioned above, I'd like to keep the new VVT if I can, otherwise, I think I have to use my non-vvt parts from the cam on the 5.3 or order the delete kit (ls3 plate, 3 bolt sprocket, and a non-vvt cam)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:49 PM

Think this is it??
Old 07-08-2016, 06:15 PM

was finally able to confirm that i do not have VVT on my current 5.3

now with that figured out, i'll be ordering the parts for the vvt delete kit (ls3 cover, 3 bolt cam gear, and the bolts.) i think i can use the existing parts off of my old 5.3, but i'm planning on selling it so it's one less for someone to haggle me on later.

also decided on the ls9 cam & ls6 springs after some more research and recommendations from texas speed. i'd like to max out the bottom end as much as possible since i'm primarily doing this for the towing results.

i'd like to do the black bear tune, but i've heard they're really backed up and hard to get in touch with. texas speed seems to get really good reviews.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if not going with VVT whats the price differance on a LS3.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Just visiting

Originally Posted by mike187
i'd like to max out the bottom end as much as possible since i'm primarily doing this for the towing results.
You could just reuse your 5.3 heads and just get a bigger short block. It would be cheaper than buying a complete engine and you could get more low end torque out of a larger displacement engine.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with jc, check out Thompson, they're a sponsor and have great deals on short blocks.
I'm considering doing the same for my 07. Looking at there 6.2.

Quick Reply: 5.3 to 6.2 (L9H) swap 2009 GMC k1500