Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2009 5.3 LY5 performance question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok lets back up and try this from a different angle. Many of us who have posted are proffesional's in the field from which you seek advice and we are not trying to say you don't know what you are talking about. We are all nice and all try to help. As such most of those who chime in tips know what works and what doesn't and advice has been giving accordingly.

So if you think the IAT adjuster is working then great but it's really not though all its doing is falsifying data to the pcm and can do more harm than good because the pcm makes those adjustments off of known constants. All of the IAT tweaks MAF adjusters etc are leftover old school garbage that worked until the pcms could be cracked to tune the correctly. Snake oil from the mid to late 90's.

But every single problem you have described will be fixed with a custom dyno tune. They will install a wideband and correctly tune the truck scale your MAF so it quits setting codes and adjust fuel timing torque management and other items so in the end it will drive day and night difference with non of the problems you are having currently.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand all of that. I wasn't thinking anyone was dissin on me, just letting you know that a rich fuel smell vs none at all means its working. Besides the fact of the added power that comes with adjusting it.

I value everyone's knowledge.

My original question was not how to tune the truck, I can do that myself with a proper tuner later. I programed my friends 06 hayabusa ECM and scared him off of it.

I'm mainly stuck on why the truck runs perfectly fine ( although pretty underpowered ) with no codes of any kind, until its sucking in close to or at max air flow. Every time accompanied by lean 02 codes but only at 80 to 100% throttle. A tune will fix the issues yes but why does it need it in the first place was my thing.

Lastly, I'm still having a hard time with the new water pump gasket I noticed after I bought it. That in combination with it running lean was making me think he changed the cam or heads. I was thinking, more airflow than factory ECM settings accounted for was the cause of the lean issues. That would explain why adding more and more fuel creates more and more power. Your thoughts?