Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Window motor install

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window motor install

What's up everyone! Just placed an order for a passenger side/right side window motor from RockAuto.com. I've done some research on YouTube and on here on the install but thought I'd ask for any feed back on the install or tips to make it easier. Any help would be appreciated! Tired of that window being do darn slow to go up and down lol!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Get the motor and regulator as a combo. This makes the job 100% easier. If you do that its literally two bolts on the window glass and 4 bolts in the door sheet metal. Fold the regulator in half and slid it out the door. Very easy 30 min tops.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^What he said. I used to work in the engineering lab for ACI. I tested window motors/regulators daily.

If the window is going up/down slowly its because the regulator cables are frayed and coming apart. The inner cables are twisted wire like a throttle cable or bicycle brake/gear shift cable. Once the lube degrades the inner wire will let go strand by strand and start to ball up which is why the window goes up/down slowly. It is an easy job once the door panel is off.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Get the motor and regulator as a combo. This makes the job 100% easier. If you do that its literally two bolts on the window glass and 4 bolts in the door sheet metal. Fold the regulator in half and slid it out the door. Very easy 30 min tops.

Well I am so happy I asked! Unfortunately, I had ordered the door motor itself already. No biggie, just checked and the price for the combo isn't much more so placing that order as we speak! Thanks again for this advice, looking at it now it does look a hell of a lot easier doing it as a unit/combo!
Old 11-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shaggy2dope
^^^What he said. I used to work in the engineering lab for ACI. I tested window motors/regulators daily.

If the window is going up/down slowly its because the regulator cables are frayed and coming apart. The inner cables are twisted wire like a throttle cable or bicycle brake/gear shift cable. Once the lube degrades the inner wire will let go strand by strand and start to ball up which is why the window goes up/down slowly. It is an easy job once the door panel is off.
Great explanation of how it works! This is exactly what's happening to my set up! Not sure if I will keep the single window motor, may contact RockAuto.com and see if they would take it back and issue me a refund. Thanks to you as well for the awesome info!
Old 11-09-2016, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

RockAuto is really good about refunds but you have to send it back in the original box or they go bananas on you.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Yeah it does look like they get frantic about the packaging lol! I started the return process and should be good to go. Thanks y'all!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Got my setup in the mail a few days ago and RockAuto was great about processing the return in a timely matter! Now to knock this install out this Thanks Giving weekend.