Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

STS-V Front caliper swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS-V Front caliper swap?

Anyone ever done this or know if it can be done? I got a good deal on front calipers if they can work. Yes ill need brackets made but any advise or should I just wait n save for ZO6 calipers.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Teching In

I'm curious if the STS rotors can be used as replacements for some of the 14" brake kits as well.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a 1G CTS-V caliper conversion for my '05 Avalanche/'03 Silverado. Not sure what the STS-V calipers are in terms of performance but the 1G CTS-V Calipers are 4 piston brembos.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Launching!

pm sent
Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you make your own bracket? What rotors did you use?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tydriver
I did a 1G CTS-V caliper conversion for my '05 Avalanche/'03 Silverado. Not sure what the STS-V calipers are in terms of performance but the 1G CTS-V Calipers are 4 piston brembos.
Pics? price? results? Some details man, spill it.
How big of rotors u running?
This interests me. PM or post up, whatever u prefer.

I couldn't find info online, only PDF, which I can't view.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro52R
Did you make your own bracket? What rotors did you use?

Brackets were made from a local machine shop, they did awesome work. There's pictures up on my Avalanche build thread.

I purchased the rotors that Summit supplies for their big brake kit, without actually purchasing the whole kit. I ~believe~ they are a 14" rotor but I'm not 100% certain on this because its been a minute.

I haven't installed them yet though. They will require custom fluid lines to go from the stock Silverado to Brembo caliper. I need to get to the fab shop and have them made.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've built brackets to run rear ctsv/camaro brembos with 14" baer rotors. They bolt to factory rear disc brackets. I'm curious to see how you made the fronts work. I bought some front ctsv calipers but had clearance issues even with a 15" rotor. I ended up going with gen 3/4 viper calipers( exact same as camaro/ctsv fronts but radial mount vs lug mount.) I'll try to find some pictures of what I did after work.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by milesp07
I've built brackets to run rear ctsv/camaro brembos with 14" baer rotors. They bolt to factory rear disc brackets. I'm curious to see how you made the fronts work. I bought some front ctsv calipers but had clearance issues even with a 15" rotor. I ended up going with gen 3/4 viper calipers( exact same as camaro/ctsv fronts but radial mount vs lug mount.) I'll try to find some pictures of what I did after work.
OK, since this continues to show interest I need to back up my words with some photo car-****. Before I upload a few pictures though, I want to make a couple comments to clarify some information here:
  • The spindles pictured are McGaughy's Drop Spindles. Since the calipers are adapted to bolt to the stock 2-piston GM caliper mounts they will work on stock spindles as well as drop spindles. My truck is a 4WD, I have NOT tried this setup on a 2WD front spindle.
  • The factory size for this model year truck is 12.6", I forget exactly when, but within a year or two GM went to a 13" rotor for the fronts. The rotors pictured are 14" that I sourced from Summit Racing, this is an upsize of 1.4" in rotor diameter from what I have currently installed.
  • The calipers are 1G CTS-V 4-piston calipers that I purchased from Amazon for around $130-140-ish each.. I apologize for the blue color, I fogged them with some high temp paint because I thought I it looked better than the silver Brembo paint.... Jury is still out on this one, IMO..
  • The brackets were NOT cheap to have designed and manufactured, I have a significant amount of coin into their design and building; but its still less than a big brake kit from Brembo or Stoptech :-)
  • My only complaint about the setup, is that the entire surface of the rotor is not being utilized. It's evident in one of the pictures, the distance from the center of the hub to where the friction material is is greater than I'd like to see, however, it's my belief that the upsizing of the rotor will more than offset the lack of complete contact. Even the stock GM calipers dont utilize the full face of the rotors. This is obviously due to the fact that the CTS-V rotors these calipers were intended to be used with are smaller than I am using.
  • I will need to get some custom fluid lines from the stock Silverado frame attach points to the Brembo calipers because they are obviously different.. I have a couple sources here in Indy, I just need the time to get it done.

Ok, here's some pictures (apologize for the crappy cell phone quality):

Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM
b4z
Teching In

Do you have any more info on this swap? I've been thinking about doing this for awhile and didn't know if others had attempted it. In the GTO world we are doing both CTSV2 6 piston calipers front and CTVSv1/2 4 pistons front or rear. One of the forum members has made the brackets out of t6061.
We are using camaro SS 14" front rotors and Z06 13.4" rear rotors because of the parking brake. I sourced mine from Stoptech. Total cost with most items purchased from amazon was $2100. They work perfectly and look amazing. The 6 piston calipers are huge!
Are you far enough along to recommend the 4 pistons to others? We have an '04 Tahoe that needs some help.

Quick Reply: STS-V Front caliper swap?