Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Chassis wax removal, frame painting, assembled truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis wax removal, frame painting, assembled truck

I searched around for chassis wax removal and saw a few older posts. Im going to try some previously undiscussed and unconventional methods over the next few months and see what works for me.

2006 silverado 5.3 4x4 62K miles. This is the first winter Ive driven it in 6 years, got rid of my spare vehicle. Chassis wax is failing all over, sheeting off.

I dont want to pull the bed so ill be trying to clean and paint the frame and suspension while its assembled. Ill redo any suspension next time i service major components.

Ideas so far on chassis wax to dissolve the crap with minimal physical labor. Bring on the chemicals. Oven cleaner, brake fluid, transmission fluid, diesel fuel, straight simple green or purple power. I can shoot these thru a 1/2 gallon garden pump sprayer i already have from my pressure bleeder when swapping to stainless brake lines. Bonus.

Idea is to get something on there to melt off the chassis goo and run it thru a car wash. Even if it takes a few coats its better than laying under the truck with a scraper and wire wheel. Ill also paint the entire underside of the truck while im at it so the brake fluid doesnt bother my plan. Thorough degreasing will be needed either way before paint.

Derusting
oven cleaner may be a double whammy, we'll see, cant get it on anything thats not steel.
Molasses - Might cling long enough to do the derust job
molasses and citric acid mixed
I may even try ketchup with citric acid mixed in. Need something sticky, gooey to cling and mix CA into. Shoot it on and drive around a few days to let it work.

Thoughts or suggestions. Ill post results, may help someone out. Pretty much guarnteed to be entertaining.

Last edited by indyjps; 03-11-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Hot water Industrial pressure washer at least 3000 PSI. Hands down the best way to remove the wax.

Want to treat rust? Use a product called Naval Jelly.

Otherwise use something like POR15 or similar brand chassis saver paint that will convert the rust.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

My Southwestern truck has only ever been in New Mexico, so take that for what its worth. We don't salt here and it snows about once a decade

I POR15'd the chassis in the spots I could get to, and its been great. That **** is hard when it cures. I hit it with their Top Coat and it still looks good after ~20k on road miles and maybe 5k off road. I hot water pressure washed my frame, some of the OE coating came off, but not much. I put the POR15 over it

Other products may be better, but that is my experience with the POR15. I thinned and sprayed mine, did not brush except for some areas
Old 03-12-2019, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Hot water Industrial pressure washer at least 3000 PSI. Hands down the best way to remove the wax.

Want to treat rust? Use a product called Naval Jelly.

Otherwise use something like POR15 or similar brand chassis saver paint that will convert the rust.
THIS without a doubt. I did the front of my frame in the fall and the wax coating came off instantly. This year I plan to do the whole frame.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree on hot wash, dont own a hotsy, If none of this works I may rent one. Trying something out, 'member the entertainment value mentioned in post 1. Hold my beer...and watch this. Well versed in por 15, also have had it lift, wax has to be gone, gone.

Test 1 oven cleaner on the right, used trans fluid on the left, we'll see if petroleum products melts this crap. Test done at 40 degees so if it works now itll work better this spring. Lets see what 24 hours does.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I ran hot water to my electric pressure washer, didn't seem to do much. Maybe an internal combustion washer would be better?

Excited to see what your test concludes!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I ran hot water to my electric pressure washer, didn't seem to do much. Maybe an internal combustion washer would be better?

Excited to see what your test concludes!
The pressure washer I used was a Hotsy style and heated the water up to 250* F. This was a smaller one I borrowed from my neighbor, who also has a larger one that is also a "steam" cleaner and goes up to 300*F
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I would try the Gunk gel Engine Brite engine degreaser.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
My Southwestern truck has only ever been in New Mexico, so take that for what its worth. We don't salt here and it snows about once a decade

I POR15'd the chassis in the spots I could get to, and its been great. That **** is hard when it cures. I hit it with their Top Coat and it still looks good after ~20k on road miles and maybe 5k off road. I hot water pressure washed my frame, some of the OE coating came off, but not much. I put the POR15 over it

Other products may be better, but that is my experience with the POR15. I thinned and sprayed mine, did not brush except for some areas
Drive it out here for a year. The frame will have plenty of rust on it.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Dont need or want to, but thanks

Quick Reply: Chassis wax removal, frame painting, assembled truck