Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Oil consumption fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil consumption fix?

I have had really good luck apparently with my other 2 trucks. But with my 01 Tahoe it has an oil consumption issue, and it is time for a new motor. So before I dive into it, my question is what should I change when putting a different motor in to insure it will not do the same. I have read pcv system, valve cover, windage tray and valley cover all have slight problems with their own combinations together, but my 03 and 06 didn't have this issue. Any input with this before I put another motor in it will help.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Upgraded oil pump and oil pick up and an oversized oil pan with baffles would be something i'd do asap.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S14serge
Upgraded oil pump and oil pick up and an oversized oil pan with baffles would be something i'd do asap.
From my experience man, start cheap. First off, check any leaks. Any small leaks or even some seaping. Lot of seap can loose some oil.

Second, get a FACTORY PCV hose from the dealer (i paid 14 bucks) mine was origninal with 280,xxx plus and the spring had just fallin apart. Sucking oil in like crazy.

For the valve cover; id flush the motor first. Use BG products their EPR(find a local shop) and flush it out. Should come out super black. If your valve cover is leaking i would pull it off and check. If its extremly heavy, then theirs oil in there.

I wouldnt replace a motor on burning oil when there are so many varibles that could cause that. Even valve seals could be leaking. Do the cheap stuff and go from there.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakee
From my experience man, start cheap. First off, check any leaks. Any small leaks or even some seaping. Lot of seap can loose some oil.

Second, get a FACTORY PCV hose from the dealer (i paid 14 bucks) mine was origninal with 280,xxx plus and the spring had just fallin apart. Sucking oil in like crazy.

For the valve cover; id flush the motor first. Use BG products their EPR(find a local shop) and flush it out. Should come out super black. If your valve cover is leaking i would pull it off and check. If its extremly heavy, then theirs oil in there.

I wouldnt replace a motor on burning oil when there are so many varibles that could cause that. Even valve seals could be leaking. Do the cheap stuff and go from there.
Good advice for the OP 01SilveradoJake, those upgrades I mention can be expensive. Wouldn't be bad upgrades though for the performance benefits it will give him.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S14serge
Good advice for the OP 01SilveradoJake, those upgrades I mention can be expensive. Wouldn't be bad upgrades though for the performance benefits it will give him.
Yeah those upgrades can be expensive. I've seen and heard a lot of people replace great motors on oil consumption issues..

Those are great upgrades for 99-06 trucks as those are Gen 3 LS motors.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice I will keep you posted as I fix one thing at a time
Old 02-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Anything found?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Will be posting a build thread soon but just letting you guys know the progress, I went ahead and went over board and over spent on the budget and bought some Long tubes, Fast lsxrt, ls6 valley cover, efans, nelson harness, Knock sensors & harness, oil pressure sensor, cam position sensor, gaskets and an autocal from black bear. Have not got to drive it much to check oil consumption, I only have about 100 miles on it since doing the ls6 valley cover. but will add the progress as more mileage is put on to check oil consumption.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Return the LSXRT intake, you'll thank your wallet. That intake only proves it's worth if you are always beating on this thing over 6,000rpm. Get a TBSS intake instead and still get a small bump in hp for 1/5th the cost.
The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Return the LSXRT intake, you'll thank your wallet. That intake only proves it's worth if you are always beating on this thing over 6,000rpm. Get a TBSS intake instead and still get a small bump in hp for 1/5th the cost.
you're 100% right and i agree with you, but man you preach about those TBSS intakes like you get a commission every time someone installs one