Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

New Member 2003-2004 Chevy silverado 5.3 NEED HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member 2003-2004 Chevy silverado 5.3 NEED HELP PLEASE

Hello Everyone,
I have been looking at this forum for a while now and see that 99.9% of You all know a lot and like to help people so I decided to join. My name is Joe, I live in NE Florida, Out of 16 Truck's all of them have been Chevy's except two and one of those was a 93/94 Toyota ext-cab 4x4 with 10 inches of lift, 40" Super Swamper's, Chevy 350 built Turbo 3spd tranny, p205 transfer-case, Dana 60's with 410's front & rear. Anyways back to my current truck and the problem's I am having with her.

I have a 2003-2004 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3, 4l60e, ext-cab, 2wd, step-side, 373 gears w/limited slip. I have only done a few things to this truck, K&N air intake, flow master w/turndown's, lowered the back 2"s to be level with the front, had 24" Foose wheel's now I have 20" Denali wheels, chest style tool-box, 5 gallon air-tank with a compressor with a pressure switch turns on at 85 goes off at 115 for train horns, HID's, LED dtr lights, and a little work to the interior, Pioneer double-din, Navi, Bluetooth, cd/dvd, backup camera, Optima yellow top battery, etc....

For everyone that isn't worried about the little problem below about the gauge cluster, getting it fixed and want the Escalade look, here is what I am having. This just started maybe 4-5 month's ago, I just became a diabetic and haven't had the energy or money to just start replacing stuff and I refuse to take it to a dealership after being treated like I was after buying 10+ truck's from them this one brand-new it was a special ordered truck and the guy backed out. The truck started getting bad gas mileage like 11-12 in-town driving, its started acting like I have a cam especially when it's cold out till it warms up then it starts running better, I have noticed a little bit of power loss and some other little things. I am OCD and change all the fluids most of the time before they need it including the fuel filter probably every other oil change. Things I have had to replace where the fuel pump, water pump and belt's. Some buddy that works at a dealership here told me to run a can of seafoam about every 4-6 months when I fill up, When I talked to a service tech at a Chevy dealership an hour away from me told me to run 44k instead of Seafoam in the gas. I did that one time.
If there is anywhere I can look up what MAF sensor comes stock on my truck and someone knows can you let me know, and one other thing, the same sorry dealership told me to only use Delco plug's, is that b.s. or should I use Delco plug's.

Also I have 2 MAF sensor's, does anyone know what Delco one is supposed to be for my truck? They are both stock Delco's but the sticker on the top has different number's. I call the dealership and with the vin & everything they cant tell me what the one that came with me truck is supposed to be, I guess they have new one's out know and don't have the 2003 part number.
I used to have a buddy that worked at the Cadillac dealership here and he would hook me up with doing all my oil changes and other stuff like that.

I haven't been able to hook it up to a tech II but I have hooked it up to one of the cheap OBD scanners at an auto-parts store and popped 12 codes.

I know what the first three are I think but I'll include them anyways
1.) B0227 left front wheel spd signal
2.) Bo226 left front wheel spd signal missing
3.) Bo225 left front wheel spd sensor (circuit open or shorted)
4.) P0101 Mas or volume air flow A circuit (range/performance)
5.) P0171 Bank 1 system too lean
6.) P0174 Bank 2 system too lean
7.) P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold "Bank 1"
8.) P0442 Evaporative emission system leak detected (small leak)
9.) P0171 Bank 1 system too lean "pending"
10) P0174 Bank 2 system too lean "pending"
11) P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 "pending"
12) P0442 Evaporative emission system leak detected (small leak)"pending"

I have been told I need to change the intake manifold gasket's and I have been researching on the internet a lot and it sure look's like that is another problem with these 5.3's. A lot of people on other forums have talked about having some of the same problem's I am having and the same code's and they are saying it was their intake gasket.

Like I said it looks like the people on this site are trustworthy and know what they are talking about that's why I joined to try and get some knowledge and help, Thank You for any and all the help you can give me.

*At 72k miles my speedo gauge went from 45 to 120 a few minutes later oil pressure gauge dropped to 0, I know what I'm doing working on vehicle's, I have done all the work to all my truck's and helped buddies work on theirs. I was only a few blocks from the house so I drove it home. I got on the net. and started doing research and found this to be a "recall" so the next day on my way to the Chevy dealership my temp gauge quit too, well I get there and they tell me sorry I am 2k miles over from getting it replaced, I was mad to say the least, they even had the ball's to tell me to go to the other Chevy dealer in-town that they might still be able to fix them. NOPE. Anyways I found a recycle yard 45 mins. from me in the country and he had three clusters, I pulled all of them. They all worked, except the steering wheel controls and mileage, so I got on youtube and watched some videos on how to fix it, I did taking one of the cluster's I had apart and using the stepper motor's out of it in mine, only thing I couldn't get to work was the most important gauge temp gauge. Well it's been month's and now they are jacked up again, I just want to get it fixed with aftermarket stepper motor's, blue led's and how ever you do the Escalade cluster conversion.

Sorry for the long post, Thank You to anybody that can help, this is starting to stress me out bad and I am not working right now because of my diabetes so I don't have a bunch of money to just change out parts that might not be bad.

Thanks Again,
Joe
Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I would agree with you on the intake gasket parts, it's a very good possibility that your lean codes are coming from the leaking intake gaskets. At that age and mileage, I would replace them. Also that MAF sensor code could be the other big cause of your poor fuel economy and the lean codes aswell. If that sensor does not function correctly, lots of things act wrong.

As for the spark plugs, AC Delco are the best "stock" plugs. You can go with a copper plug or something similar if you were into modding the motor. So for you, I'd stay with the stock plug which are Iridiums.

The factory MAF should look exactly like this.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
I would agree with you on the intake gasket parts, it's a very good possibility that your lean codes are coming from the leaking intake gaskets. At that age and mileage, I would replace them. Also that MAF sensor code could be the other big cause of your poor fuel economy and the lean codes aswell. If that sensor does not function correctly, lots of things act wrong.

As for the spark plugs, AC Delco are the best "stock" plugs. You can go with a copper plug or something similar if you were into modding the motor. So for you, I'd stay with the stock plug which are Iridiums.

The factory MAF should look exactly like this.

Thanks for the help, I have two mas air flow sensor's both of the look just like that but the sticker on the top next to the plug has different number's on them. I give the Dealership my VIN and they don't know what my MAF should have on it. I got an extra one from a buddy and ended up doing some b.s. and took it off, well needless to say between two people working on the same truck for a week one of us dumbasses set the MAF that was on the truck next to the other one so now I don't know which one was on it.

As far as not doing any motor mods, the only thing I'm doing to this truck is what I have already done besides it up. I used to know a lot about plug's and working on my stuff, I have done everything to every truck I have owned, I've had help from someone that knew what they where doing but passed away from cancer. You cant call the dealership here and ask them something they want you to bring the truck in so they can charge you out the ***, not me. They told me Ac Delco where the only plugs I wanted to use, I hung up on him after that one.

When I figure out how to use this forum a little better I will show you some pictures of my other trucks, the one before this one probably being my favorite. 2002 RC,Step-side, 2/4 drop, 22" Cabo wheels, 410's with Eaton posi, k&n, stainless shorty headers w/full exhaust, 150 shot nos, different plugs(my buddy that passed away helped me do a lot of the work and said to get these plugs running nos) tuned and a few other little things.

I'm finished with that now, getting to old and I'm lucky to still be alive. I will build another toy if I have a bunch of $$$$, retired and its not my everyday driver.
Attached Thumbnails New Member 2003-2004 Chevy silverado 5.3 NEED HELP PLEASE-2002-chevy-side.jpeg   New Member 2003-2004 Chevy silverado 5.3 NEED HELP PLEASE-2002-chevy-passanger-side.jpeg   New Member 2003-2004 Chevy silverado 5.3 NEED HELP PLEASE-2002-chevy-under-hood-nos.jpeg   New Member 2003-2004 Chevy silverado 5.3 NEED HELP PLEASE-2003-chevy-24-foose-wheels-pulling-20-pro-line-wac.jpg   New Member 2003-2004 Chevy silverado 5.3 NEED HELP PLEASE-2003-chevy-front-side-20in-denali-wheels.jpg