Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Master or Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master or Slave Cylinder

So on my 91 chevy 5-speed I have lost clutch pressure.

Driving home the other night the clutch would not let me change gears. I had to pump it several several time to get pressure back. Once I did it drove fine.

I just put a new starter on so I was thinking I didn't get all the air back out of the Slave Cylinder so I started to bleed it again. For the next hour all I got was bubbly fluid. Same thing keeps re-occuring it will loose all pressure then I can pump it up and get it back but literally after a minute all the pressure goes back out until I pump it up again.

No fluid leaks of any kind that I can see. Does this sound like a bad slave or master cylinder for the clutch?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

My opinion is master cylinder. I think it might be the seal on the pushrod side of the piston sucking air on the upstroke.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
My opinion is master cylinder. I think it might be the seal on the pushrod side of the piston sucking air on the upstroke.
I believe you are right. A friend of mine has a new slave cylinder laying around. I installed that and bled it out and it seemed that was it. Truck drove perfect. Let it sit overnight and now the same thing is happening. Althought now at least it doesn't take as long for the clutch to get pressure back.

Gonna go buy and grab a master cylinder on my way to work and slap it on. I'm just happy it's nothing internal all easy fixes lol