Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

LsxRT intake concerns / LQ9

Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LsxRT intake concerns / LQ9

Hey Guys i have a Escalade EXT 6.0 lq9 engine, looking forward to camming it soon but im stuck on which intake to get Lots are saying TBSS and few are saying LSXRT. i love the look and gains of the Fast but i see alot of complaints on the Idle and stalling issues of this thing. for 1k we shouldnt have any issues because of the Ol saying ''you get what you pay for''. most of these post are 2012 and older so has the problem been corrected or people just stopped buying the intake. i got a complete tbss offer of $250 throttle body and rails. and i heard the fast gets 15 hp gain over the tbss. so i rather go big but i dont wanna go bust.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadillac Edd
Hey Guys i have a Escalade EXT 6.0 lq9 engine, looking forward to camming it soon but im stuck on which intake to get Lots are saying TBSS and few are saying LSXRT. i love the look and gains of the Fast but i see alot of complaints on the Idle and stalling issues of this thing. for 1k we shouldnt have any issues because of the Ol saying ''you get what you pay for''. most of these post are 2012 and older so has the problem been corrected or people just stopped buying the intake. i got a complete tbss offer of $250 throttle body and rails. and i heard the fast gets 15 hp gain over the tbss. so i rather go big but i dont wanna go bust.
Only you can decide if you want the FAST intake. Most everyone on here will recommend the TBSS/NNBS intake over the FAST, simply because of cost.

The question you have to ask yourself and answer is, "Is $1k worth 15hp?"

And that's just for the intake. That's not including injectors, rails, spacers (if needed), fuel line, adapters, etc. AND, to add, I think you have to drill it for one of the sensors.

Sure, it's pretty but for me, it's not worth the cost. That $1k for 15hp, comes out to $66.67 PER hp.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Not worth the cost for the minimal gain you might see. That gain is also likely to only be in one spot, way up in the power band where that intake flows well. Being that it's a big heavy truck you aren't going to spending every minute of driving past 5,000rpm to really make that intake shine.

Swap for the TBSS/NBSS intake and tune it from there.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmann26
Only you can decide if you want the FAST intake. Most everyone on here will recommend the TBSS/NNBS intake over the FAST, simply because of cost.

The question you have to ask yourself and answer is, "Is $1k worth 15hp?"

And that's just for the intake. That's not including injectors, rails, spacers (if needed), fuel line, adapters, etc. AND, to add, I think you have to drill it for one of the sensors.

Sure, it's pretty but for me, it's not worth the cost. That $1k for 15hp, comes out to $66.67 PER hp.
ok thanks ill stick with the tbss intake
Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
Not worth the cost for the minimal gain you might see. That gain is also likely to only be in one spot, way up in the power band where that intake flows well. Being that it's a big heavy truck you aren't going to spending every minute of driving past 5,000rpm to really make that intake shine.

Swap for the TBSS/NBSS intake and tune it from there.
ok thanks ill stick with the tbss intake.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

another thing. is there anymore bolt ons i can add for hp. i already have Volant cold air intake with the scoop, speed engineering long tube headers, circle d 3200 stall, transgo hd2 kit, corvette billet servo (2nd,3rd and 4th) of course getting the tbss intake, getting 224/230 114 or 112 lsa cant decide between Tsp or Btr. does that throttle body spacer volant offer actually do anything?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I vote no to the spacer. Just a sales gimmick
Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

You pretty much will have of the bolt ons after the intake swap. Then it starts getting costly... under driven crank pulley and an electric water pump. Neither will show huge HP gains for the amount spent. For what they cost and the small return of HP per dollar - get some ported heads.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the FAST LSXRT. It is a good manifold. Really the best you can get for cathedral heads. If I had to do it over again I would go TBSS though. The FAST isn't really a bolt on solution.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dormans replacement cathedral intake is a 3 bolt TB copy of the Fast truck intake. Might consider that as an option also.

Search this Thread