Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Leaking Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking Rear Window

I have a 01 Silverado with a non-heated stationary (non-sliding) rear window. When it rains heavily or I go through a car wash, water leaks in past the window at both top corners. I'd like to fix it before it gets worse and causes mold or rust.

I had my windshield replaced because it was also leaking badly when it rained, now I discovered the rear is leaking too

Safelite quoted my $238 to replace the rear window.

Is this a DIY job? Or perhaps there is some sealant I can apply to stop or, or at least slow it down...
Old 01-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure its not leaking from the CHMSL(brake light)? That would be a cheaper and easier fix. You can put silicone behind the mounting surface and try a water test with a hose.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DRAENOR
Sure its not leaking from the CHMSL(brake light)? That would be a cheaper and easier fix. You can put silicone behind the mounting surface and try a water test with a hose.
If water got behind the brake light would it ultimately leak down on the inside of the window? The headliner appears to be completely dry.

I'll use a hose to try to recreate the leak and narrow it down to the window or the brake light (or something else).

Last edited by Ferocity02; 01-23-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Mine did. Mine would even run down the inside of the windshield if the rain hit the truck just right while the parked on a downhill slope. This is on a never wrecked, all OE glass '02 ECSB.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same problem on my truck and it was from the high mount tail light. I replaced bulbs and the gasket got torn. Lube up the truck side with dish soap and apply silicone to the brake light housing. As long as you don't lay a huge bead you will be able to remove the light and keep the "new" gasket stuck to the light only. Been dry ever since.

Was the rear glass ever replaced? If your front did the same I suppose there is a possibility that your rear may do the same. Bad batch of adhesive, etc. On my 2005 there is a rubber strip that runs between the side panels and the roof. I suppose it could get in from there. Again on my 2005 there is 1/4" or so gap between the glass and the panels. With a lot of patience you could clean the gap, tape off the truck and window, then lay a bead of silicon to see if that is causing your leak. Hell of a lot cheaper. However, when faced with mildew and/or rust I may have safelite take a crack and put the ball in their court.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

You guys nailed it. It's the 3rd brake light, confirmed with a hose. But I don't see any damage to the seal. I'll probably just buy a new one since it's looking a little ragged anyways.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I have a 01 Silverado with a non-heated stationary (non-sliding) rear window. When it rains heavily or I go through a car wash, water leaks in past the window at both top corners. I'd like to fix it before it gets worse and causes mold or rust.

I had my windshield replaced because it was also leaking badly when it rained, now I discovered the rear is leaking too

Safelite quoted my $238 to replace the rear window.

Is this a DIY job? Or perhaps there is some sealant I can apply to stop or, or at least slow it down...
There a rip off anyway. If you need glass go elsewhere. I got a new Heated and Tinted Pilkington Glass installed for less than that including removal of old aftermarket glass. Was in my 06 GMC.

Pilkington Is an OE manufacturer and made alot of the original glass for GM. It's usually made here or in Canada.

Not like the Ching Yang glass that Safelight will install. That glass is made in China and is soft . It scratches real easy.