Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

HVAC controller recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is a G.M Service Bulletin, Regarding the Problems with the Blower Motor Resistor,

G.M. SERVICE BULLETIN
Special Coverage Adjustment
Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046.......SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT........Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the IGNITION OFF.

Models:
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003"-2007" Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003-2007 GMC Sierra
Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Due to part availability, owner letters will be released in phases starting with older model year first. Owners for model year vehicles not included in first phase owner mailing will receive an owner advisory letter.

The letter will inform the customer that parts are not yet available and that another letter will be sent to them when parts become available. A copy of this letter will be attached to the dealer message announcing this bulletin.

In the meantime, if a customer brings their vehicle to the dealership with the condition described in this bulletin, repair the vehicle using the parts called out in this bulletin.

Condition.......On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay Resistor Module and the Wiring Connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

IN VERY RARE events, if the above Symptoms are Ignored......A FIRE Could Occur.

..........SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT.......This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of .....10 YEARS or 150,000 MILES(240,000km).....whichever occurs first, from the Date the Vehicle was Originally Placed into Service.......Regardless of Ownership.

Dealer are to install a New Blower Module Connector......and the Repair will be made at No Charge to the Customer.

Important.......For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, All eligible Claims with repair orders on or after April 8 2001 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with Repair orders prior to April 8 2011 must be Sumitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved,
Involved are certain 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 Model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Vehicles equipped with a Manual HVAV (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Important,
Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by david8399
there is an option on tahoes and yukons that you dont actually get a resistor you get a blower "module". modules are twice as much but dont burn the connector. also with in the last year or so GM redesigned the modules and they are better. Looks totally different but it will work.
Good info there brother thanks!! I'll def. have to check into this.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I been working at a dealer for 10 years. Go to them and tell them you had a burning smell and you got that letter. You are still gonna need an actuator though.
Thanks David. I'll give it a shot this week and see what they say.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

there is an option on tahoes and yukons that you dont actually get a resistor you get a blower "module". modules are twice as much but dont burn the connector. also with in the last year or so GM redesigned the modules and they are better. Looks totally different but it will work.
Is this the same blower control module used on the auto climate control systems?

If you are taking out blower resistors and connectors every couple years I would consider replacing the blower motor. It doesn't make sense that its a Tahoe or Suburban issue because they use the same components as a Silverado or Sierra.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
Is this the same blower control module used on the auto climate control systems?

If you are taking out blower resistors and connectors every couple years I would consider replacing the blower motor. It doesn't make sense that its a Tahoe or Suburban issue because they use the same components as a Silverado or Sierra.
I agree but both of my trucks never have an issue with the blower resistor and our Tahoe blows it once a year about so, 3 times !

My Dmax has auto climate, my 2000 has manual, My Tahoe has manual.

So you raise a good question, why no prob with the trucks and only with Tahoes???? Anyone???
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Advice?

I have a 2004 Yukon and my blower has stopped working. I spent a half hour on the phone with GMC and they tell me there is no record of this special service bulletin and that it doesn't apply to my VIN. 2004 Yukon is on the list and I'm at 146K miles about the make a cross-country trip for Thanksgiving so I'll be over that 150K limit soon. How can my vehicle be on the list, be within the window, be experiencing the problem, and not be included in this recall? Is there anyone I can contact?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:19 AM

I also had the same problem with my GMC Sierra HD Duramax with the Dual Zone Control. They replaced the, what they are calling Resistor Module, but if you take it apart you will say, hey where in the heck is the resistors. I was told this is a PWM Module. GM just hasn't changed the Name, afraid it would spook people.
I found out when I Took this Module apart very gently, that the power output transistor broke away from the Heat Sink and Smoked||||||. They glued this high current carrying device to the heat sink. It will not stay very long. Thanks for the Post on the recall, for I paid to have it done.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 AM

Default Blower Resistor

Originally Posted by TIM Z
I agree but both of my trucks never have an issue with the blower resistor and our Tahoe blows it once a year about so, 3 times !

My Dmax has auto climate, my 2000 has manual, My Tahoe has manual.

So you raise a good question, why no prob with the trucks and only with Tahoes???? Anyone???
I have a 2005 GMC Sierra LT., 2500HD Duramax Truck and I've replaced the fan already and just finished having the Resistor Module Replaced.
So beware it's a coming for failure. Want to be darn sure that you don't park this vehicle in the garage. This resistor pack has been known to catch fire.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 AM

After tearing this Resistor Module(PWM) apart and found the Power transistor was smoked. I was able to find the part replacement for it, but I couldn't find a replacement for the On Board IC. The Numbers on the chip are AA539B, 1MN37,0508 and 857630. When I replace the Transistor I want to test the board, but I need to get the specs on the IC Chip. So I need help. Anyone know how to find a replacement or specs on this chip would really be helpful.